US population by Race as of July 2003!

Hmmm i'm not sure exactly where this goes so i posted it here!

US Population: 290,809,777

Okay first off here's a key:

AIAN = American Indian & Alaska Native

NHPI = Native Hawaiian & Other Pacific Islanders

White: 234,196,357 (80.5%)

Black: 37,098,946 (12.8%)

AIAN: 2,786,652 (1.0%)

Asian: 11,924,912 (4.1%)

NHPI: 495,335 (0.2%) :eek: Go islanders!

Two or more races: 4,307,575 (1.5%)

Not Hispanic/Latino:

White: 197,326,272 (67.9%) :eek:

Black: 35,593,148 (12.2%)

AIAN: 2,180,318 (0.7%)

Asian: 11,673,494 (4.0%)

NHPI: 390,630 (0.1%)

Two or more races: 3,747,026 (1.3%)

Hispanic or Latino: 39,338,340 (13.5%) SkylinesBest shhh.... ;)

Population change from April 2000 to July 2003: 9,386,546

White: 6,090,519

Black or African American: 1,394,691

American Indian and Alaska Native: 122,810

Asian: 1,335,843

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 32,799

Two or more races: 409,884

Hispanic or Latino Origin: 4,592,589

White alone not of Hispanic/Latino Origin: 1,749,870

Net International Migration: 4,190,277

White: 2,832,890

Black or African American: 322,379

American Indian and Alaska Native: 31,986

Asian: 936,992

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 15,676

Two or more races: 50,354

Hispanic or Latino Origin: 2,158,696

White alone not of Hispanic/Latino Origin: 787,643

Race alone or in combination:

White: 237,899,403

Black: 38,749,034

AIAN: 4,366,174

Asian: 13,502,956

NHPI: 959,603 *getting closer to that million mark i the US now has the largest Pacific Islander/Part Pacific Islander population in the world outside of their home regions even if you exclude Hawaiians. It's up there with New Zealand but way higher if you exlude New Zealands Maori/Part Maori pops as well as Hawaiians for the US and higher over all if you include them as well as Hawaiians for the US! :nuts:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yeah once the city figures come out i'll post them here too! :P

Wendell FOX, well its really sketchy since Hispanic/Latino is not a race and the fact that they can be of any race. There are many that are Black, Mixed Race, White, AmerIndian, to even Asian so technically speaking -> no. :D

Hispanics aren't just Mexicans either. Despite what Univision might have you believe. Don't discount the huge number of Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Dominicans on the east coast.

Mexican and Central Americans are also moving more and more into the South, the Mountain West and the Midwest. They're integrating like crazy.

^Yeah,Brickell its such a big stereotype that outsiders have of the US though that its pretty much all Mexican, well that maybe true for most of the western states but not all. Hawaii's dominant Hispanic/Latino group is and have always been Puerto Ricans in 2000 there were about 45,000 Boricuas & Mexicans came in second at about 30,000. :)

Race counting in the US is performed by census and other counts from data that is collected by people who chose what race they are. Most people identifying themselves as Hispanic are from either Mexico & Central America, and some of South America.

People identifying themselves as Hispanic are the #2 race in terms of population in the US now. It has been this way for several years.

Not really. Hispanic is not a race. The only race of People there are is black, white, Mongol (Asian and Native/Pacific Islander). So what you have to do in order to put hispanic is to break down ethnicity which would brake us all down to, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Haitian, Jamaican, Spaniard, Italian, English, Native (US), Nigerian, Kenyan, Black (U.S) and White (US) Black and white as far as those who don't claim another place as their birth. I've never heard an African American or Anglo American claim another place outside of here as there birth place. Ask one, hey where you from, I'm from Cleveland or New York, maw where your folk from, They from South Carolina or Virginia. That is the real difference. Blacks were brought here and white came over on the boat . Hispanic is a mixture of races. Therefore the are only called Hispanic because of there birth right not because of any formed race. language and birth place does not make a race. Since they are not indiginous to this land, they can't claim native or Islander either. Hispanic is not the number 2 race, nor are they the number 2 ethnicity.

You guys always get me with this hispanic ethnicity/race stuff. Does it really matter if it's a race or an ethnicity or even just a language group. They (the hispanics) have a shared heritage and oftentimes skin color, so what's the big deal?

Why are some people on these boards so adament about not counting them as a group?

You guys always get me with this hispanic ethnicity/race stuff. Does it really matter if it's a race or an ethnicity or even just a language group. They (the hispanics) have a shared heritage and oftentimes skin color, so what's the big deal?

Why are some people on these boards so adament about not counting them as a group?

They are a group, an ethnic one combined, but you can't call them a race when they aren't. I'm an Afro-American but if you take another black from anywhere else outside the U.S., they are not considered an Afro- American, nor if you take an Anglo from any other country they will not be an Anglo-American they will be Nigerian, Kenyan or Itallian, English, and so on. But if someone comes from the bottom tip of Peru and moves here, they are hispanic and counted as part of a group. Hispanic is not a race and therefore can't be counted as a race. We just lumped up anyone who has heritage from South of the U.S. and Spain and ortugal as being Hispanic. That makes not sense as in counting people.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reading an article on CNN.com that says NC was the #1 area for Hispanic population immigration. Here are some clips from the article:

"In the 1990s, North Carolina's Hispanic population quadrupled, growing at the highest rate of any state in the nation."

"Based on current elementary enrollment numbers, officials estimate Hispanics will make up a third of North Carolina's high school graduates by 2013."

The source can be found at:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/07/09/hi...t.ap/index.html

I can't imagine the graduating population consisting of 1/3 Hispanic! It didn't say who was the leader in the 2000's (man that sounds weird to say) but I suppose it would only be an estimate if they did. I'd say there stands a good chance NC is still at the top of the list, I'm being surrounded by the Hispanic population in the town I live in.

^Do you know what groups are making the most noticeable impacts there?

As for Hawaii outside of the Puerto Ricans & Mexicans the groups making the most noticeable impacts are the Panamanians, Peruvians, Colombians, Argentineans, & Guatemalans they are all growing at the same rate currently the remaining groups are growing steady but their growth is not as noticeable at the moment. I have quite a few Colombian & Peruvian friends here and many of those countries are quite diverse too like one of my buddies from Peru is Chinese but speaks fluent Spanish hehe. :P

Whats interesting though is that most of the South Americans that move here are quite educated and usually work in like high paying jobs engineeing etc etc while the Central American types usually work in agriculture, landscaping, hotels, etc

You can find alot of the newer Mexican migrants working in Agriculture or in hotels etc the Guatemalans in landscaping etc Right now Maui is a big draw for Mexicans & Guatemalans and the Big Island for Mexicans, etc. Lots of illegals too.

Yes, it's mostly transplants from Mexico. I have heard rumors that there is a billboard in Mexico City for the county I live in, and considering we're one of the fastest growing counties in the US and we have one of the highest Hispanic populations in this area I'd say it's probably true. In my town blacks are now the minority and are moving to places further south into South Carolina (my county, Union, NC borders the SC state line) because of the influx of Hispanics into the region. White's are also doing the same which is causing Hispanics to gain more control of the area. Many are illegal and dang it if most drive a car without insurance! If they hit you for the most part it's a hit and run or they pay you off and move on.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem is that a person from any country can be considered black, white or Mongol. Such as a friend of mine I went to School with is from Germany and he is black but calls himself German. To him he is German, same should be for those who are from Mexico, they are from Mexico and should be called Mexican. If they make America home, they should be an Mexican- American, just like Italian's call themselves Italian-Amercans or Irish-Americans.

Archived