Any info on plans for Park Road Shopping Center?

Wookie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Park Road Shopping Center is immediately adjacent to both Myers Park and SouthPark and has thrived because of this, even though it is 52 years old. NASCAR is not a big draw here. The Quaker Steak site was originally a cafeteria and later a mexican restaurant. The Firestone store has been closed for a long time but it looks like something is underway. I don't know what that is, sorry. Anybody?

Whoops. Didn't consider this "Coffee House" fodder...I was really asking about any knowledge about development projects. But, so be it.

Anyway, I agree that the design is really dated, but there are a bunch of good shops in there, and the location is excellent. Not sure why that Quaker Steak space can't get any traction. Perhaps if the theater refurbished. The shops on the other side of Woodlawn are much more appealing (Mama Fu's, etc), with live music out on the patio. I'd be interested to see how much of that giant parking lot is utilized...maybe they could cut into that with something more asthetically pleasing.

Dated? Not necessarily. It just doesn't look like all the newer EIFS orgies all over the city. Those will, mind you, look extremely dated very, very quickly. Just look at Concord Mills. Even whole chunks of Carolina Place scream mid-90s. The same will be true of that mall with Mama Fu's. Most shopping centers get sucked into whatever is trendy.

PRSC is already pretty lively, but there are certainly ways it could be improved. Expanding the porch space in front of some of the stores would allow for more seating. Adding a couple more businesses out in the parking lot with an emphasis on outdoor seating/performance space would be nice. Even converting some parking lot into park.

Functionally and aesthetically, some fixed louvers along the walkway would work really nicely for them. The canvas roller shades are all sorts of torn up, but the need for some afternoon shading is still pretty prevalent.

No place is perfect, but I really like the layout of PRSC.

The alternating one way drives for parking and the wide side walks make for the safest driving around. How many centers do you see people zig zagging through the middle of the lot?

I think a demo of the closed Quaker Steak is in order, to be replaced with something with a lot of outdoor patio space. I think a Bahama Breeze would do well there. The theatre was re-done years ago to add additional screens. Originally built in 1964, it was one large theatre. I don't think a re-do will happen, given the size of today's new multiplexes. Perhaps an IMAX showing feature films would work, although I was hoping Epicentre would have one.

I think the end with Michael's and the rear with the shoe repair, cleaners, and a couple of restaurants could use a big makeover. From Suarez Bakery up, though, is a great mix. I really am glad Blackhawk is there and appears to be thriving.

Location is primo!

If I remember correctly.....the owner of PRSC is willing the center to Queens University as part of their estate. The university will then be able to sell the center if they want cash for their endowment (which I suspect they will). Perhaps a major redevelopment will occur at that point, but don't expect anything major to happen in the interim.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived