Wanton Demolition

In light of the recent spate of reckless demolitions of historic buildings for questionable reasons, the guillotine of the state historic tax credit program, and the mayor's attempt at drafting demolition by neglect ordinances, I figured I'd start this topic as sort of a watchdog. We all know of buildings in need of attention that fly under the proverbial radar, so lets put them here and bring attention to them.

I'll start off with a good one: The Captain Joseph Tillinghast house, at 403 South Main, aka "The Dolphin House". Built in 1767, the oldest remaining well preserved house on South Main Street, and associated with a very important and prominent family in Providence's early history. There has been a developer working on a rehab of this building, but he lost his tax credits when the state cut the program. The house has some structural issues, which aren't being made better by leaving windows open all winter. The developer wants to demolish the building, which by current laws would not be too difficult to do on an emergency basis.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41....118563854220907

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In light of the recent spate of reckless demolitions of historic buildings for questionable reasons, the guillotine of the state historic tax credit program, and the mayor's attempt at drafting demolition by neglect ordinances, I figured I'd start this topic as sort of a watchdog. We all know of buildings in need of attention that fly under the proverbial radar, so lets put them here and bring attention to them.

I'll start off with a good one: The Captain Joseph Tillinghast house, at 403 South Main, aka "The Dolphin House". Built in 1767, the oldest remaining well preserved house on South Main Street, and associated with a very important and prominent family in Providence's early history. There has been a developer working on a rehab of this building, but he lost his tax credits when the state cut the program. The house has some structural issues, which aren't being made better by leaving windows open all winter. The developer wants to demolish the building, which by current laws would not be too difficult to do on an emergency basis.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41....118563854220907

Archived