The Sterick building

The Memphian

I am currently working on a redevelopment proposal for the Sterick building which will include: hotel/residential/retail I wanted the input from the panel on what would be a good name for the mixed- use proposal some examples I am considering are The Sterick Hotel & Residences, The Memphian & Landmark Plaza. I will be presenting my proposal to AIA Memphis & CCC, as soon as it is finished, I am in the early stages and just wanted some input on what the panel felt would be an ideal name.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Financing is not completely secure yet, I am working with a national developer who is very interested in the building, again it is in the early stages, so nothing is etched in stone. I can tell you this, he is very optimistic, One of the intial plans which is not my area of expertise is working out something with the current lease on the building. Also, there has been positive feed back from Kimpton hotels & a few others who would be willing to help develop & manage the hotel part of the proposal. My background is in business recruitment & retention so I am not a serious developer. I have spoken to Kimpton officials & other potential tenants about being a part of this development.

Personally, I like The Memphian the best.

Landmark Plaza sounds really generic, like some nondescript office park in suburbia. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Memphis area already had a Landmark Plaza--as do probably 400 other cities.

The Memphian sounds retro, like the old Memphian Theater. And it's got a sense of place and identity, just like the Sterrick itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Memphian if youd email me with any information regarding the project or anything I could be of service to, promoting the building, marketing, helping secure finances or anything like that let me know. My email address is [email protected]. Thanks.

Oh, and my vote for the rehabbed Sterick Building is The Memphian. I just think it sounds very classic and elegant. One Beale. The Horizon. The Goodwyn. The Madison Hotel. The Memphian. Its just concise and to the point. I like it.

-Z

• 1 month later...

No offense, but "Landmark" is rather generic. Including the Sterick name in the building is a good idea. I realize that you may not be able to give any details at this point, but can you tell us anything about your plans for this great building?

• 1 month later...

City Council would be equally to blame for any rash moves in regards to major structures in the CBD, thus I don't think we will be seeing either the Sterick or the Pyramid going anywhere without a structural safety issue prompting the decision...which at some point could come for the Sterick if nothing is ever done with it.

Archived