Sisson Avenue interchange

Bill Mocarsky

The Sisson Avenue exit (I-84 exit 46) is a three tier interchange with long ramps simply leading to West Boulevard. It was designed to accomodate a freeway that would follow the north branch of the Park River to Bloomfield. Exits 43, 45, and 48 were also contructed as interchanges for never built highways, giving I-84 its multi-tier profile.

I thought I'd post an idea that I recently shared with "Hub of Hartford".

sissoninterchangeanimatoz7.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Sisson Avenue exit (I-84 exit 46) is a three tier interchange with long ramps simply leading to West Boulevard. It was designed to accomodate a freeway that would follow the north branch of the Park River to Bloomfield. Exits 43, 45, and 48 were also contructed as interchanges for never built highways, giving I-84 its multi-tier profile.

I thought I'd post an idea that I recently shared with "Hub of Hartford".

I agree. It almost seems so simple that it might've been how the intersection originally was configured.

I agree that something needs to be done here. When I commute home via capitol I keep thinking of what a mess it is an how isolated that one stretch of Capitol is. This might help remedy the design flaw of 84, that if you are leaving Asylum Hill around Aetna and want to travel on 84 WB, you have to go downtown hartford to catch the interstate.

I've also wondered about doing an intersection with Park Avenue and 84. Where the exits are on the north side of the street and upside down "u"'s... hope that's not too ambiguous, but i'm not too talented at map drawing on a computer.

2 more things. I like that you renames this 484! :) Also, would this cut off the rail line?

Archived