A New Downtown South of Market

Charles Pearson

Core of downtown S.F. would move south under new plan for giant skyscrapers near Transbay Terminal

Robert Selna,John King, Chronicle Staff Writers

Thursday, May 1, 2008

A cluster of skyscrapers rivaling the Transamerica Pyramid would rise around the West Coast's tallest tower in an ambitious proposal that would shift the heart of San Francisco's downtown south of Market Street.

The zoning plan, unveiled tonight at a packed public meeting, would allow as many as seven new skyscrapers to surpass the current 550-foot height limits in an area surrounding the planned Transbay tower- a high-rise of roughly 1,000 feet adjacent to a new Transbay Terminal at First and Mission streets.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...=006&sc=589

ba_transbay_skyline.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Core of downtown S.F. would move south under new plan for giant skyscrapers near Transbay Terminal

Robert Selna,John King, Chronicle Staff Writers

Thursday, May 1, 2008

A cluster of skyscrapers rivaling the Transamerica Pyramid would rise around the West Coast's tallest tower in an ambitious proposal that would shift the heart of San Francisco's downtown south of Market Street.

I have generally not been a fan of adding absurd height to SF skyline, but from this angle it does look reasonable. I Guess I have to have faith in the good people out there that created such a nice city to continue to protect what they created.

is transbay a definate?

how sure are these projects?

Archived