Yard waste & wood chips

The City's yard waste drop-off site opened April 15. Rather than buy tags for your neat bundles of branches and bags of leaves, you can load them up and drop them off 9 am - 4:45 pm Mon - Sat.

The other day I was leaving with my load of wood chips (free!) and there was a stack of vehicles waiting to get in. (A guard checks ID to make sure you're not bringing materials from other jurisdictions...but "foreign" residents are welcome to pick up GR wood chips as no one checks.)

This gave me an idea. How about setting up a wood chip route? City trucks are already driving around doing tree work. Rather than have all the big cars idling on Butterworth, and creating huge mountains of materials in the lot, turn the branches into chips and keep them in their neighborhoods. I am guessing that many of the folks remove their stuff from their vehicles, then drive to HomeLoweArds to pick up --buy -- some landscaping supplies.

I would love to have a delivery, and it would likely save gas for City trucks not having to drive all the way out. I'd even pay for this service, as it's difficult for me to get to the yard any day other than Saturday.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old roommate moved to St. Paul, MN and his block came up with a great idea in regards to this. He lives in a township, hence no waste removal service, yet in a city atmosphere and surroundings that don't allow him or his nieghbors to "dump" the stuff out back somewhere.

He gathered about $30.00 from each "participating" neighbor and together they bought a big chipper that his next-door friend keeps in a small shed. That way, they all get to use it (its transportable with wheels) and the people that want the mulch/wood chips are happy, those who just want to get rid of their waste are happy. Everyone involved has agreed to keep it fueled and in running shape. They even have a sign-out sheet and often have big "chipping" parties, where more beer is probably consumed than tree limbs :).

Archived