Charlotte's New Police Chief

HopHead

The Charlotte City Council has narrowed the list of candidates down to just 3 or 4... The finalists are:

1) Rodney Monroe - current Chief of Police in Richmond, VA.

2) Alan Dreher - current Assistant Chief in Atlanta, GA.

3) Jerry Sennett and Ken Miller - current deputy chiefs in Charlotte.

From everything I read, I think it's really come down to the first two candidates. I don't know much about Alan Dreher, but I know Rodney Monroe from previously living in Richmond. He's done wonders for that city. Crime there is down to its lowest point since the late 1970s. He's done a great job of focusing in on areas of high crime and dramatically reducing it. He would have a larger population and area to work with here if he got the job. He previously worked in DC before coming to Richmond.

What is are your thoughts on any of these candidates? What do you think should be there first order of business?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

This seems to be a great hire. People in Richmond speak highly of Rodney. Hopefully he can do what here what he did for Richmond, albeit he'll have a three time larger city. From all indications, I suspect he was definitely the frontrunner from the get-go.

I am very pleased with the choosing of Monroe for police chief. Bringing in a newcomer who is unfamiliar with the city as a whole will bring a whole fresh set of ideas and that is exactly what we need right now. The fact that Richmond made a counter offer exceeding Charlotte's offer speaks volume for the man.

I am very pleased with the choosing of Monroe for police chief. Bringing in a newcomer who is unfamiliar with the city as a whole will bring a whole fresh set of ideas and that is exactly what we need right now. The fact that Richmond made a counter offer exceeding Charlotte's offer speaks volume for the man.

I find it interesting that when Nick Mackey was denied the sheriff's position, his supporters screamed 'race' and wouldn't listen when someone would try and tell them it's qualifications and characters that are the real issues.

Char/Meck has several African Americans in high level positions, and now a new African American police chief. Hey, Mackey supporters, do you hear any complaining? No, because it's all about qualifications and character!

Monroe looks like a good choice. Good luck, Chief!

I find it interesting that when Nick Mackey was denied the sheriff's position, his supporters screamed 'race' and wouldn't listen when someone would try and tell them it's qualifications and characters that are the real issues.

Char/Meck has several African Americans in high level positions, and now a new African American police chief. Hey, Mackey supporters, do you hear any complaining? No, because it's all about qualifications and character!

Monroe looks like a good choice. Good luck, Chief!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived