City Eyes Convention Center

bigboyz05

A feasibility study for a convention center planned for Crossroads Business Park was announced by Texarkana, Ark city officials on Monday. Officials with both Texarkanas are supporting the private investment by Daugherty Management Co., a local fam developers that has already invested millions in both cities including some recently built hotels. Texarkana, Tx Mayor James Bramlett said the announcement was about the partnership and relationship between the two Texarkanas and offered full support for an Arkansas side development. Texarkana, Ark officials have been working to develop Crossroads north of and parallel to I-30. Two hotels have already begun construction there. A price tag on the project has not been prepared and won't be until the size of the facility is determined. Plans for a convention center in Crossroads have fallen through before. A sportsplex and convention center were planned by private investors who pulled out last year. Texarkana, Ark Mayor Horace Shipp said the center will be an economic driver for communities surrounding Texarkana as well as the city.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word on how this project will be financed and managed post construction? I know the Russellville convention center (as I understand the financing and management plan) is a very very bad plan for the people of Russellville unless it results in a major ancillary development boom. I truly hope Texarkana's not following a similar path.

I remember hearing about that sportsplex. That was back when the Bandits played there. Sucked when the plug got pulled on that. :(:(

veport is closer. It's about 70 miles away. I think Hot Springs is about 90 miles away.

I heard that both Texarkana's had money saved to pay for the project. Yeah I was very disappointed when the Sportsplex plan was scrapped. I think this time around this project will actually get built.

• 2 weeks later...
So no new taxes then, that's pretty awesome. Russellville, as I understand it, is also more or less signing away all revenue to John Q. Hammons for some ridiculous period AND the city is footing most of the construction bill!!! My source isn't wholly reliable and I've not found much info out there so maybe it's not correct. Anyway sounds like Texarkana is doing this with more financial wisdom.

Archived