Mark Twain's Comment About Cincinnati

doogur

Anyone who lives in Cincinnati has heard a variation of the comment Mark Twain made about Cincinnati. It goes something like this:

"When the world comes to an end, I want to be in Cincinnati because everything there happens 20 years later."

Can anyone verify that Twain ever actually said this? Despite the number of times this quotation has been used, I've read that it cannot be verified that Twain ever actually made the comment, and once read that he didn't.

I know it's hard to prove a negative, but I'm sure there are some Twain experts/afficionados out there who know the truth.

• 2 years later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two years later, but for anyone who cares, the actual quote is:

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."

Aside from that, I can't really help with verifying this quote. It's very likely that this quote originally passed by word of mouth, and thereby left no paper trail of its origins. On the other hand, many of Twain's known quotes were written in his books, reviews, and articles so they are easily identifiable.

Archived