SIXTH at Gateway

atlrvr

Ryan Homes will be breaking ground soon Uptown on a 50 unit deal called SIXTH at Gateway (courtesy of Chris Branch).....it will be pretty much the same all-brick unit types as at The Block at South End. Grading is completed, and it looks like utilities are already laid. This development will be located at the corner of 6th and Irwin across from Ray's Splash Planet.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this in the site bounded by 6th, 5th, N Irwin, and N Sycamore? If so, I'm pretty happy that it is being developed into townhomes, even if it's Ryan Homes that's doing them. This block has been a rough, run down site for quite some time.

They will also be all brick masonry exteriors. Nothing too exotic, but a good amount of space for a decent price inside gateway village. They are about a block from the gateway farmers market, Johnson & Wales starbucks, the YMCA and Cedar Street Tavern. They also are near Ray's Splash planet and the elementary school next to Ray's. Ryan may historically be a suburban builder but in Uptown and Southend they face the same economic realities about features and space and price that those markets demand. They seem to be approaching it a little differently than most of the developers, giving "a block off" prime street location with more space for a lower price per sq foot instead of a South blvd, Camden st, Trade st location with smaller spaces, more units, and higher price per sq foot. They also face the same plan review and "standards" that both Southend and Uptown impose on developments there. In other words, I wouldn't expect a vinyl sided suburban sprawl box from them in any close in locations.

I'd also say that this is not their last development in the close in neighborhoods. As other developers and small builders start to feel the financial pains of projects that haven't sold, I expect land in the ring neighborhoods to be sold at attractive prices to other developers and builders with the means to take it and turn it. There are several out there still with deep pockets and a desire to do projects in Charlotte.

EDIT#2: Talked with their sales person yesterday down at the Block to get some more information. atlrvr is correct, the smaller unit starts at 260k and Scottclt is correct, the larger unit is right around 380k. I walked through their model which isn't quite finished yet and they are surprisingly large. The Davinci is about 1100+ sq ft while the Rembrandt model is 1900+ sq ft.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post although I've been checking out this site for a year. Everyone always has such great, helpful information and I'm finally participating.

First off, I currently own a townhome at the Block--The Greenbriar model (2222 sq. ft. with sunrooms) and I love it. I think it's a great place and floorplan, bright, well done, and Ryan Homes has done an overall great job. They are very attentive and have responded very quickly for the minor touch-ups that I've needed done.

I have been doing some research on 6th at Gateway and I am seriously considering buying there, as well. I'm looking at the Rembrandt. At over 1900 sq. ft. ~ $400k in 4th Ward, it seems like a good buy. The floor plan is really nice--very open main floor, large bedrooms and the MBR has two huge walk-in closets. They're all brick and I like the fact that they look like townhomes. They also have a one-car garage and will have other lot parking available there and the rep mentioned they may get some spots at the adjacent, large parking lot next door. With it being so close to Gateway Village and the lack of larger residences in Uptown,it seems like a good investment. It would also be a nice place to live but I want to stay in Southend for now. Any thoughts/opinions would be welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Please be aware of our rules that prohibit asking real estate questions. I have removed the offending text, but please don't do it again.

Also, FWIW, this may be technically in 4th Ward, but the Gateway area west of the RR bridge acts more as an extension of 3rd Ward.

• 8 months later...

It looks like the first 3 (or 4) of these were framed within the last week. Hard to believe anyone is starting condos at this point, but sure enough after putting utilities in last summer, they began actual vertical construction about a month ago and should be delivering the first units in another couple of months.

It looks like the first 3 (or 4) of these were framed within the last week. Hard to believe anyone is starting condos at this point, but sure enough after putting utilities in last summer, they began actual vertical construction about a month ago and should be delivering the first units in another couple of months.

Archived