Human Services building & deck

orulz

The county is planning a 6-story addition to the Human Services building (former Sears building) on Coxe Avenue. Behind the building will be a 9-story parking deck.

dss.jpg

The old Sears building is a bit of an odd one, so the new building makes no attempt to fit in with the old one. This looks like it will result in a pretty long, blank, steril space along Coxe, which needs all the activity it can get. The downtown commission suggested putting a small retail use like a coffee shop at the NW corner to activate the parking deck, but the county appears to have declined. I wonder if, with this new addition, they can convert the old street entrance to the Sears into a retail space. I doubt it, the county doesn't want to be a commercial landlord.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think our best hope for this area is for the Urban Capital folks to do something with the lot(s) they own between this site and the renovated First Union building. On the plus side, I'm assuming the county is moving employees from somewhere else to fill this building, so that does mean more people downtown for existing businesses.

I wouldn't expect to see any kind of retail space in a county-owned building, but the county could put a customer service-oriented department in a ground floor unit fronting the street -- an office where the public needs to pay bills, or apply for permits, or receive information. That would liven up the street level facade.

Archived