Western Gateway Project

This is a different new proposal than that of the Trinity Partners, but seems to be equally as important. The project is in its design phase, but plans to be around 11 stories, with shops, a hotel to compliment the doubletree, office, and a little residential. The idea of it is to be somewhat of a gateway to downtown. The Parcel is 2 acres bounded by 4th St. Extention, Irwin Ave. and Johnson and Wales Way.

post-17104-1210337927_thumb.jpg

Here's a rough rendering.

With the announcement of two things in the area today, plus the two Blvd Co. Projects I was thinking we could start a gateway only topic or something to consolidate these.

post-17104-1210337927_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news. I run to Frazier Park past this area sometimes and the area really feels run down. I think it is a great thing that area to get dense projects like this.

It is hard to tell much from that fuzzy rendering, but in general, the scale looks fair as an extension of the gateway area.

• 1 month later...

I was doing some research on the Center City Partners website and noticed they updated the development report pages, although the details aren't all up yet. I noticed a new project labeled "Victoria Square Redevelopment" in 3rd ward. You can see it on the CCCP website. Right now, this is where the awkward 4th St. / Trade Connector is next to Johnson & Wales. You can view the site here in Google Maps. Just curious if anyone has heard anything about this and the details. If not, I'm fairly certain CCCP will have specifics when they update their next report. A Google search came up with no results, also.

^ I've heard a few things about this lately. Mostly just stuff in passing on local news and such. As far as I can recall it's the plan to raze an abandoned apartment complex and build housing and and another hotel to "anchor" this side of uptown. If I recall, there was debate about the existing housing close by.

^ 2 Different Projects...same street. The baseball will close the 4th St connecter at Graham St and could possibly start late this year. This "Victoria Square" project will be next to where they will put the 4th St connector on a road diet to slow traffic down and make it more pedestrian friendly. This is much closer to I-77 and Cedar St. Also this part of 4th St won't start for another 2 years or so.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't agree more Spartan it is pretty terrible. But at least it will be another hotel for DT Charlotte, tho I don't undertand the location. As far as design goes, doesn't it seem familiar to anyone. Its very reminiscent of a certain suburban project in charlotte, maybe its just me but....

crap.jpg

I'm not so sure I understand what's so bad about it. It's an oddly shaped parcel to work with and the apartment building that's there is incredibly ugly. This will block it from most every view. I've seen some color renderings of this and it's got some good detailing with glass, steel and aluminum accents (reminiscent of J&W current campus buildings). I'll take this over Ghazi's EFIS monstrosity any day of the week--at least this building is precast concrete and has its retail facing outwards.

edited for a typo.

I'm not so sure I understand what's so bad about it. It's an oddly shaped parcel to work with and the apartment building that's there is incredibly ugly. This will block it from most every view. I've seen some color renderings of this and it's got some good detailing with glass, steel and aluminum accents (reminiscent of J&W current campus buildings). I'll take this over Ghazi's EFIS monstrosity any day of the week--at least this building is precast concrete and has it's retail facing outwards.

Archived