Silver Spring

dgreco

I thought we should start a Silver Spring topic, because there seems to be a lot of development around town.

The newest is the project that brings in a Greener Silver Spring. This is a market and replacing a parking lot with a nice slab of green space.

pandpmyblairs1.JPG

pandpmyblairs1.JPG

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silver Spring appears to have learned the lesson that density is a good thing and can be achieved without bombast. While many of these new buildings might not draw attention in and of themselves, their placement and relationship to one another is making downtown Silver Spring thrive in a way it has never done before. Proximity to the Metro has certainly helped the area grow. I'm glad to see that it's headed in a good direction.

I agree, for being really a small city between two big ones it has has been successful filling in and building up its downtown. Silver Spring has a fresh and nice feel to it. I Think it is a great Midtown type city.

As part of the new Downtown Silver Spring development project is continuing to move along, and partly because of the ability to fill its spaces even with the market slump. The Georgia Tower georgia_body_photo.jpg

has only a 5.2% vacancy and from the 4th quarter of 2007 to the first quarter of 2008 they have filled more of the offices and the vacancy rate has gone down even more. It is great to see Silver Spring growing.

I agree, for being really a small city between two big ones it has has been successful filling in and building up its downtown. Silver Spring has a fresh and nice feel to it. I Think it is a great Midtown type city.

Just a reminder, Silver Spring is not classified as a "city" according to U.S. Census Bureau. It is classified more so as a statistical area of Montgomery County, MD (same goes for Bethesda). It does not have state charter to be its own entity, corporate boundaries or a municipal government. Its governing body and all services is provided by Montgomery County Government.

Do you think this has an effect on how well business is doing and how retention of companies in buildings are doing?

I more meant small city in size rather than classification, but I didn't know that so thanks for the heads up.

Did I say it has an effect on how well business is doing and how retention of companies in buildings are doing?

You are very welcome...

Just making sure that there is no confusion on what a city is or is not. When I see the word "city" being used, I think coporate boundaries.

I didn't say you did I was wondering if you think that has an effect. Being governed essentially under MC instead of being its own municipality. Do you think that is a reason why they have such a high retention rate?

Not neccessarily. IMO there seems to be different factors that determine the retention rates (i.e. social and economic demographics, tax abatements, municipal grants).

MC obviously has more to offer in those departments as compared the coporate entities within MC. However, I have heard of situation where corporate entities have been chosen over counites. I do wonder if MC helps that local municipal governements within to prevent a companies from going to VA.

It all comes down to an areas marketing strategy and of course $ca-ching$ $ca-ching$.

• 2 weeks later...

not silver spring, but bethesda has a proposal for a tower over the train station. I think this is near the music center, not 100% sure, but it is a nice tower and would fit in well if its the area I am thinking of.

bethesdatower-big.jpg

I really like the idea of building intensely over the Metro stations. There are a few places in the city where the openness of a Metro entrance is almost welcome- Dupot Circle's north entrance is one. In most instances, though, density above is far preferable to a large open space. This trend is especially encouraging in suburban locations. It would be nice to see this in Rockville as well, though I understand that the Twinbrook area has plans in place for a major development.

I really like the idea of building intensely over the Metro stations. There are a few places in the city where the openness of a Metro entrance is almost welcome- Dupot Circle's north entrance is one. In most instances, though, density above is far preferable to a large open space. This trend is especially encouraging in suburban locations. It would be nice to see this in Rockville as well, though I understand that the Twinbrook area has plans in place for a major development.

The worst is the Twinbrook enterence is just an ugly dirty mess, and it is right near a bunch of development. Most of the development is condos, but there should be something instead of how it is set up.

I think Rockville needs to expand more than condos and try to bring some big business or any real business in.

There is a pretty neat plan for Twinbrook called Twinbrook Station. Phase I is underway.

http://www.twinbrookstation.com/

The Rockville government is filled with a bunch of slow growth NIMBY's. I use to be a member of a Town Center organization and some of the members would cry foul if a building was over 10-stories. The mention of big companies would give them a heart attack... I think Tacoma Park has infiltrated the Rockville City government.

Archived