a japanese theme neighborhood

iCOLUMBIA

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking that as nice as their neighborhoods are these days, there are not many people in Columbia that would like to live in a typical Japanese neighborhood. It requires a level of social interaction that just isn't present in the USA. And forget the food, that just won't happen. (as much as I would like to see it)

Well, let me see. New York, San Francisco and Honolulu have their China town. Philadelphia has its Germantown and Miami IS little Havana. We mustn't forget New Orleans' French Quarter.

All that having been said, you must remember that these cities are all in the millions of people in population, except New Orleans. I don't think Columbia is ready for that type of theme neighborhood or village, however, something that I think would work very nicely is an artist's village nestled up close to the old Township Auditorium and the historic houses. We could attract both artists and tourist at the same time. Columbia has the potential to out Charleston Charleston if we would get some real leadership in the area of the arts.

The neighborhood that I mentioned could be developed to include housing, studios, and retail facilities for artists. The Township Auditorium could be augmented with additional smaller auditoriums in the model of the Academy of Music in Philadelphia. The universities and collages in the area could be encouraged to engage their arts departments to participate. The possibilities go on and on.

Well, let me see. New York, San Francisco and Honolulu have their China town. Philadelphia has its Germantown and Miami IS little Havana. We mustn't forget New Orleans' French Quarter.

All that having been said, you must remember that these cities are all in the millions of people in population, except New Orleans. I don't think Columbia is ready for that type of theme neighborhood or village, however, something that I think would work very nicely is an artist's village nestled up close to the old Township Auditorium and the historic houses. We could attract both artists and tourist at the same time. Columbia has the potential to out Charleston Charleston if we would get some real leadership in the area of the arts.

The neighborhood that I mentioned could be developed to include housing, studios, and retail facilities for artists. The Township Auditorium could be augmented with additional smaller auditoriums in the model of the Academy of Music in Philadelphia. The universities and collages in the area could be encouraged to engage their arts departments to participate. The possibilities go on and on.

i think that if columbia build it first it will attract japnese people in the city. and also my idea goes for everyone. it is not just for japnese people it is for everyone in the city and people out side is the city.everyone can live there but it will still will have the japnese theme there!

I don't know if people would be drawn to Japanese architecture in South Carolina, but you're right, it doesn't have to be only people of Japanese origin who take up residence there. For example, Greenville's Montebello has an Italian inspired residential village. The architecture is taken straight out of Tuscany. It doesn't have the Italian shops and restaurants, but it does have the architecture and aspects, such as fountains, colors, and density, that make it authentically Italian. It's not entirely what you're envisioning, but it is relevant and has been successful.

Looks neat, but I don't see this happening unless there is a large Japanese population.

There is a high concentration of Korean restaurants and shops along Decker Blvd (also lots of Mexican shops). Maybe that could one day be sort of an international corridor.

Looks neat, but I don't see this happening unless there is a large Japanese population.

There is a high concentration of Korean restaurants and shops along Decker Blvd (also lots of Mexican shops). Maybe that could one day be sort of an international corridor.

Haha, I don't think you can build a zone in Columbia and then tell all the people of Japanese origin they have to move there. Remember they did this during WWII and those memories linger on. Aside from that, I am going to bet these people already have lives and are not willing to move to something that vaguely resembles what Tokyo really looks like.

iColumbia, thank you for your opinion. It's just not going to happen.

Haha, I don't think you can build a zone in Columbia and then tell all the people of Japanese origin they have to move there. Remember they did this during WWII and those memories linger on. Aside from that, I am going to bet these people already have lives and are not willing to move to something that vaguely resembles what Tokyo really looks like.

iColumbia, thank you for your opinion. It's just not going to happen.

Archived