3 cities look to land key train stop

DetroitMan

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what has happened to Downtown Wayne over the years is a travesty. I'm sure at one point it was a nice little urban node between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Now, aside from the small strip of buildings along the western-running stretch of Michigan Ave the "downtown" isn't very urban. Maybe the transit station will eventually create TOD that will densify the downtown area.

God, reading the Freep comments section makes me nauseous. I can't believe that people don't understand the incredible benefits of having a good transit system in place! If anything, this should be a small first step towards a much more robust regional transit system. I've seen how the Metra system pumps life into the suburbs and downtown core of Chicago, and I have no doubt the same would happen here if a good system were in place. It's great to see that city leaders have the foresight to recognize the possibilities!

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any new details on which cities might get the stops?

As far as Downtown Wayne goes, they could prosper from a spot if redevelopment could occur along Michigan Ave from the Kroger traveling East to Second St. The Northern side of W Michigan Ave I personally would think to be a great place for mixed use with the (if these still exist) antique shop, Comcast, etc. A huge issue would be a willingness to redevelop that area and if the property owners have the same attitudes as they did a few years back Wayne will continue to be a heel of Wayne County.

Just imagine if Wayne's Council wouldn't have voted against what is now Westland Mall and Metro Mess would've never happened... it would be interesting to see.

Maybe with a transit stop Metro Mess can be redeveloped and become utilized land ad who knows may work out better than the mall ever would have.

Archived