Monroe Rd Redevelopment?

sakami

Potentially starting new thread for redevelopment of Monroe Rd (if it needs to be moved please do so). There was speculation about potential redevelopment of the Doral apartments on Monroe Rd and now the developer has submitted an application for rezoning to the city. It is a mixed-use project with 495 units of multi-family and single-family units and up to 40,000 square feet of retail. The current application includes parking immediately accessible from Monroe which is unfortunate but based on the rendering it would appear this could be changed if the developer can be shown the light.

One of the biggest matters of concern for this project is CDOT's request to build a bridge to connect this development to the Chantilly neighborhood of which I am a resident. CDOTs current zoning estimates the impact on the neighborhood is 1,800 trips a day, but with the new development it is estimated at 7,000 trips a day.

I would love some feedback on how to address CDOT on the potential impact this traffic could have on this neighborhood but at the same time encourage the redevelopment of this complex into a mixed-use facility.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That site has some extreme flooding problems and I'm wondering what theyre proposing to do to mitigate that. It seems that the doral apartments flood every decade or so. I would view the street connection as a position unless the neighborhood nimby's are out to squash the idea.

It's important to note that we're not talking about increased connectivity, as much as sustained connectivity with this suddenly controversial project. There already is a connection today. Via the slated-for-demolition Cavalier apartments, private Chantilly Lane connects the public streets of Laburnum Avenue and Bramlet Road. With its speed bumps and timber bridge, this is not a high-speed shortcut, and then there are stop signs virtually every block in Chantilly itself.

Given how few connections (four total) there are for Chantilly residents, I'm surprised many would actually support losing what amounts to their only connection to Monroe Road not across railroad tracks. An ambulance coming from or heading back to Presby or CMC risks significant delays from trains or going the long way around by crossing Independence Boulevard twice.

It's important to note that we're not talking about increased connectivity, as much as sustained connectivity with this suddenly controversial project. There already is a connection today. Via the slated-for-demolition Cavalier apartments, private Chantilly Lane connects the public streets of Laburnum Avenue and Bramlet Road. With its speed bumps and timber bridge, this is not a high-speed shortcut, and then there are stop signs virtually every block in Chantilly itself.

Given how few connections (four total) there are for Chantilly residents, I'm surprised many would actually support losing what amounts to their only connection to Monroe Road not across railroad tracks. An ambulance coming from or heading back to Presby or CMC risks significant delays from trains or going the long way around by crossing Independence Boulevard twice.

• 1 year later...

To my knowledge I do not think the government is working very fast on buying out the last half of the complex. they only bought out the half that was most damaged from the last flood. the complex is still waiting to see if the government will buy them or not. If they do not, then they will fix the damaged apartments on the first floor. If they do get bought out then of course everyone will be given money to move. But the people in the office will not know anything until the government tells them what they are going to do. We all know how the government works.....they probably will take an eternity to decide what they will do.

Archived