South Park Parking Deck Collapse (Part II)

monsoon

I don't know much more than this at the moment but MSNBC is reporting that another parking deck at SouthPark Mall has collapsed and apparently this time it is full of vehicles. Some of you might remember that part of a deck at this mall collapsed last year.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't watched the video on charlotte.com, but there is a picture, and there are no cars on the top floor, and there are empty spaces visible on the 2nd floor. It appears that's all that collapsed. And it's only a very small section of those 2 floors. So I guess that's good news.

I was sitting at the Carson Station waiting for the Lynx and was watching the two prefab sections of parking decks going up at Circle and thinking "I can't believe they just plop these sections into place and then fill them up with cars and people." I'm no structural engineer, but it just seems too simple to be true. You never think about it when your whipping around those hairpin corners in 7th St. Station, but you're a couple of bad welds away from being the meat in an parking deck-sandwich.

^ 7th street station is a cast in place parking deck. from a structural sense, it is one monolithic structure, not an assembly of precast components.

this deck is roughly the same age and construction type as the visitors deck over at cmc main. i was in that one a few weekends ago and noticed that a good many of the haunches had post-construction steel reinforcing on them. the haunches are the little concrete seats that hold up the double tees floor structure. i wonder if this is a weak point in all pre-cast decks of that time period....

No word on causes yet but it was a section about the size of a basketball court on the top (4th) section that collapsed and that section caused the same area of the 3rd floor to collapse as well. There were about 150 cars in the deck at that time. Only a few cars had minor damage and there were no injuries.

Fox 18 news last night said it parking deck was built in 1987, and get this, it was inspected then and hasn't been since. Wouldn't you think a parking structure should be inspected at least on a bi-annual basis, if no annual. I haven't seen that they have come out w/ a cause yet though. Thankfully, no one was injured.

Fox 18 news last night said it parking deck was built in 1987, and get this, it was inspected then and hasn't been since. Wouldn't you think a parking structure should be inspected at least on a bi-annual basis, if no annual. I haven't seen that they have come out w/ a cause yet though. Thankfully, no one was injured.

Archived