SC Counties with 500k

distortedlogic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats because most people only understand transportation in terms of widening roads for more cars. If you deny the fact that transportation is a system that involves cars, transit, bicycles, pedestrians, and connectivity, and that this is a system that works with land use decisions, then you are blinding yourself to the scale and scope of the problems that we need to be addressing.

This is where SCDOT and the SC Legislature need a good jolt. If we, as a state, cannot change the way we expand our cities, then all of our cities are doomed to repeat the mistakes of Atlanta.

Thats because most people only understand transportation in terms of widening roads for more cars. If you deny the fact that transportation is a system that involves cars, transit, bicycles, pedestrians, and connectivity, and that this is a system that works with land use decisions, then you are blinding yourself to the scale and scope of the problems that we need to be addressing.

This is where SCDOT and the SC Legislature need a good jolt. If we, as a state, cannot change the way we expand our cities, then all of our cities are doomed to repeat the mistakes of Atlanta.

Some Atlanta metro counties issued impact fees to new construction - didn't make a dent at all. Maybe developing new property tax valuation could work, but it would be considered suicide for any assessor to enact that. Also highly unfair, as you can't assume every case to be the same & high end multi-unit housing would just replace exurban single family subdivisions.

Regarding the inevitability of SC metros repeating what has occurred in metro Atlanta - I do think it is mostly too late. Obviously it isn't as bad, but everything is in place - all it takes now is high growth to accelerate the sprawl. There is already an extensive highway system, edge cities & prof-offc zoning already exists in most city's outskirts & built infrastructure coupled with land that is no longer invested for farming just means that exurban sprawl is going to happen.

I think the only thing that can be done now is to look at how Atlanta, Charlotte, LA or other large sunbelt cities are doing now to combat this. Cities can provide alternatives, but exurban growth is something that I don't think anyone is willing to sacrifice to stop.

breed, that is usually done through pact fees which is based off of several criteria, and the money is collected for the infrastructure improvements before hand. This way, the development in question will have the necessary infrastructure in place before the development changes everything. I should stress that I am not in favor of unnecessary taxes and fees, but when it comes to transportation and infrastructure- two of the key, basic functions of government, I think people should pay up.

I don't think any SC counties use impact fees, but those would help tremendously. Charleston would likely be the only one that does, if any.

Some Atlanta metro counties issued impact fees to new construction - didn't make a dent at all. Maybe developing new property tax valuation could work, but it would be considered suicide for any assessor to enact that. Also highly unfair, as you can't assume every case to be the same & high end multi-unit housing would just replace exurban single family subdivisions.

Archived