Downtown Raleigh Home Tour 2009

DanRNC

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I will be working in the Prarie Building at 10:30am. Hope to meet some of you going on the tour.

Look for a person who least resembles a "pale texan", and that is me.

My girlfriend and I just meandered into a few sites and no one seemed to care if we had the "buttons." :) Got to check out The Hudson which was... interesting. While I applaud what they're going for I can't help but say it felt like a mental institution.

My girlfriend and I just meandered into a few sites and no one seemed to care if we had the "buttons." :) Got to check out The Hudson which was... interesting. While I applaud what they're going for I can't help but say it felt like a mental institution.

I love industrial looking places like that with ultra-modern furniture.

The tour stops were not centrally located and required some driving in between, but the tour was interesting and will be more worthwhile in the coming years.

They had 350 last year, and the urban design center had 800 buttons to sell and ran out by noon. So, it sounded like a huge success.

Talking to someone from Planning around 2:30-3, they thought that about 1,000 people who took the tour. I got a wristband, but wanted a button... The weather helped, but interest in downtown is picking up!

My GF thought the Hudson seemed like a good idea in theory, but bad in practice. Living on the north side of the Hudson would be a looonnngg, depressing walk from the elevators. The concrete floors was not at all forgiving, which eliminates retiring boomers.

I haven't been in any insane asylums (yet) so I can't compare and contrast. The wide open space of the 5th floor unit that overlooked the courtyard was pretty cool, though am not sure if it justifies the price.

The halls of Park Dev. and the Dawson on Morgan felt too narrow, and long with only the central elevator for the Dawson on Morgan. The Borough was nice to offer a free appetizer, but wow the service was slow. They even forgot what we ordered. ugh.

Hatem's place above Times Bar seemed well executed, but not too "lived in" just yet. Concrete countertops! wow!

I wanted to go to Prarie and Person, but we spent too much time in Artsplosure, so had to pick and choose what we saw.

• 10 months later...

3rd Annual Downtown Raleigh Home Tour

The Raleigh Department of City Planning is proud to host the 3rd Annual Downtown Raleigh Home Tour on Saturday, May 19 from 11 am to 5 pm. Held the same weekend as Artsplosure, the self-guided tour showcases the wide variety of housing options available in Downtown including historic properties, single-family homes, affordable rental units, and luxury condominiums. Information on residential projects that are planned or under construction also will be available. The event will be held rain or shine.

Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased in advance by cash or check or the day of the event at the Raleigh Urban Design Center at 133 Fayetteville Street. Children 12 and under are admitted free. Visit www.raleighdowntownliving.com for additional tour information. Proceeds from ticket sales benefit the Department's Designing a 21st Century City lecture series, and the Support Circles Program of the Plan to End Homelessness.

• 2 weeks later...

3rd Annual Downtown Raleigh Home Tour

The Raleigh Department of City Planning is proud to host the 3rd Annual Downtown Raleigh Home Tour on Saturday, May 19 from 11 am to 5 pm. Held the same weekend as Artsplosure, the self-guided tour showcases the wide variety of housing options available in Downtown including historic properties, single-family homes, affordable rental units, and luxury condominiums. Information on residential projects that are planned or under construction also will be available. The event will be held rain or shine.

Tickets are $10 each and can be purchased in advance by cash or check or the day of the event at the Raleigh Urban Design Center at 133 Fayetteville Street. Children 12 and under are admitted free. Visit www.raleighdowntownliving.com for additional tour information. Proceeds from ticket sales benefit the Department's Designing a 21st Century City lecture series, and the Support Circles Program of the Plan to End Homelessness.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to volunteer, but I'll be out of town.

On WRAL, I found a "web-only" series, Knock, Knock.

They plan on going into "fantastic homes, offices and other cool places for a private tour." The first episode goes into the Cotton Mill near Seaboard. The second looks like it is going into the old church on St. Mary's a block or two north of Hillsborough.

If the pictures in the title graphic are a clue, the Times Bar/Morning Times/Hatem residence could be episode three and The Hudson will be episode four.

They are looking for suggestions as well... Maybe Palladium Plaza? The Paramount? The converted store in downtown Durham (Kress?) West Village?

I know the resident that had his unit filmed in the Hudson and I've been wondering when that would be played. It was filmed maybe 6 months ago or more??? Looking forward to seeing a lot more of these. Thanks for the link!

I wanted to volunteer, but I'll be out of town.

On WRAL, I found a "web-only" series, Knock, Knock.

They plan on going into "fantastic homes, offices and other cool places for a private tour." The first episode goes into the Cotton Mill near Seaboard. The second looks like it is going into the old church on St. Mary's a block or two north of Hillsborough.

If the pictures in the title graphic are a clue, the Times Bar/Morning Times/Hatem residence could be episode three and The Hudson will be episode four.

They are looking for suggestions as well... Maybe Palladium Plaza? The Paramount? The converted store in downtown Durham (Kress?) West Village?

They've updated the website with the tour stops. 23 places, but a number of them are model units. Guess we'll have to pick and choose.

website

They're also be including coupons to a number of Downtown businesses with the tickets. Crema, Gandolfo's, Mo's, The Borough. I bought my tickets today.

Re: Home Tour. I went into a few places, but this year's tour was a LOT quieter than last year. I was in the Hudson and literally no one else was in at the same time. I missed one that I regret- a rehab'ed police station (I think) on Davie St. Kicking myself over that-- apparently it was very cool.

I saw people wandering around holding there info packs but half the tour was looking at construction sites with no actual unit to visit. I did not go on the actual tour after visiting the website because it looked like not too much to ge excited about for ten bucks. The one on Davie was the home of someone who used to work for the NCSU school of design, was later turned into office space and recently YSU resold it as residential space again.

• 11 months later...

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who particpated in Big Ideas week, we are working on a publication to showcase the best ideas and themes.

If you are looking for something to do this Saturday, the Department of City Planning UDC will be hosting a Downtown Tour of Homes from 11am to 5pm. Tickets are $10 and can be picked up at the UDC on Fayetteville Street. This is your chance to see condos/apartments/show units in over 20 projects on one day!! Please join us...the weather is looking good.

For more information: www.raleighdowntownliving.com

Thanks Dan

Archived