Governor's Mansion

stjoe

Anyone else think it is a BIG negative for tally...and the state to have the Gov. Mansion stuck behind a tire shop, appliance store, and bed and breakfast?

It is such a missed opportunity. Many other state capitals showcase theirs and Florida sticks theirs behind some dumpy stores.

I with they bought everything up in front of it and made it into a park or something and showcased the mansion.

As it is, it is dumpy.

On a side note, does anyone know what that other house is next to the Gov mansion? I think it looks like an old plantation style house.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you 100% about the conditions of the governor's mansion. I wonder what could be done about it though. Monroe Street is a commercial corridor with uses incompatible with the mansion. Has there been any studys on the area and how to redevelop it? At the very least, a transition could be done along Monroe Street to provide some sort of gateway for the mansion.

I remember when I first moved here & discovered where the Governors Mansion was located (hidden)...I was shocked that it wasn't displayed more prominently.

Several years later an FDLE agent told me they preferred it being in it's secluded location & preferably would like more of a security perimeter than what they have now.

It's a beautiful facility inside & out & I would like for more people to be able to enjoy that beauty....after all, to quote Gov Crist, it is "The People's House".... :)

I remember when I first moved here & discovered where the Governors Mansion was located (hidden)...I was shocked that it wasn't displayed more prominently.

Several years later an FDLE agent told me they preferred it being in it's secluded location & preferably would like more of a security perimeter than what they have now.

It's a beautiful facility inside & out & I would like for more people to be able to enjoy that beauty....after all, to quote Gov Crist, it is "The People's House".... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah you know you've been here a long time when discussions begin to repeat themselves. :)

Just to nitpick and split hairs, the Governor's Mansion is behind the Yellow Boarding house and not the tire store.

If these businesses are to be bought out and removed for a more grand-style entrance, I think the State should pay for it.

My question is this: Do we really need a Governor's Mansion? Or does the Governor and his family (if he has one) need to live there? Many states now just use their mansion as a place for meetings and parties and the Gov. and family don't live there.

Your views?

My question is this: Do we really need a Governor's Mansion? Or does the Governor and his family (if he has one) need to live there? Many states now just use their mansion as a place for meetings and parties and the Gov. and family don't live there.

Your views?

Interesting question. It all depends on the Governor, I suppose. With Florida being the 4th largest state in the nation, you would think that the Governor would need a full time residence in the capital city because he would be at work all the time. This is certainly not the case with Charlie "I really have convinced myself that Im going to be VP" Crist. Just put him in a condo downtown and it would be just like home for him. Now with Jeb, completely different story. That man put in an 8+ hour workday just about everyday. He was in Tallahassee a majority of the time, so I think its more justified in his case.

I absolutely think the Gov. needs a full-time residence in Tally. I understand you points about both Gov's GG, but I'm not sure if you could have some Govs live in the mansion and some not. I think we'd have to make a permanent rule about whether they live there or not. Some states use the Gov. Mansion for entertaining and official matters, but give the Gov. and family a stipend to live somewhere else in the Capital City.

Do you think that's a better method or do you think they should just live there?

Archived