Publications about Greenville/Upstate

Several of the UP regulars asked me to keep them posted when my new book would be available. :yahoo:

Here's the skinny on A Guide to Historic Greenville, South Carolina ...

• Over seventy five photographs (many nearly a century old) amply illustrate historic sites and places of interest
  • 144 pages
  • Five thematic tours: West End, South Main, North Main, Greenville Architecture, Art and Cultural Treasures
  • Now available in local outlets such as The Open Book, The Emporium, Fiction Addiction and The Book Depot with numerous other bookstores and outlets to come.

Copies of the book may also be ordered:

--Directly through History Press at http://www.historypress.net/index_forthcoming.php

--Barnes and Noble online

--Direct from the author, John Nolan, by calling 864-567-3940

Upcoming events include:

May 30 at 6:00 p.m.--Book signing at The Open Book

June (date to be announced)--book signing and lecture at the Upcountry History Museum

Date to be announced--book signing at the Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green

• 3 weeks later...

Several of the UP regulars asked me to keep them posted when my new book would be available. :yahoo:

Here's the skinny on A Guide to Historic Greenville, South Carolina ...

• Over seventy five photographs (many nearly a century old) amply illustrate historic sites and places of interest
  • 144 pages
  • Five thematic tours: West End, South Main, North Main, Greenville Architecture, Art and Cultural Treasures
  • Now available in local outlets such as The Open Book, The Emporium, Fiction Addiction and The Book Depot with numerous other bookstores and outlets to come.

Copies of the book may also be ordered:

--Directly through History Press at http://www.historypress.net/index_forthcoming.php

--Barnes and Noble online

--Direct from the author, John Nolan, by calling 864-567-3940

Upcoming events include:

May 30 at 6:00 p.m.--Book signing at The Open Book

June (date to be announced)--book signing and lecture at the Upcountry History Museum

Date to be announced--book signing at the Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green

Saw the write-up in the Greenville News about the book. :thumbsup:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....9/YOURUPSTATE01

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Chamber of Commerce just released their newest publication about Greenville. They do this every so often (decade?). This time Judy Bainbridge is the author--she has written a number of books about Greenville history and does regular articles for Gnews in the City People section. It's a nice hardcover book with lots of great, high resolution pictures of old and new Greenville. The historical section (leading up to the present day) covers the first 87 pages and from there until page 162 are little overviews of major institutions/businesses, etc. that Chamber members and play roles in our society. Nice book with color pictures. Kinda pricey at $49.95, but worth it if you like referencing this stuff.

BTW, the Chamber is holding an open house today for their renovations and the author is signing books from 5-6 p.m.

The Chamber of Commerce just released their newest publication about Greenville. They do this every so often (decade?). This time Judy Bainbridge is the author--she has written a number of books about Greenville history and does regular articles for Gnews in the City People section. It's a nice hardcover book with lots of great, high resolution pictures of old and new Greenville. The historical section (leading up to the present day) covers the first 87 pages and from there until page 162 are little overviews of major institutions/businesses, etc. that Chamber members and play roles in our society. Nice book with color pictures. Kinda pricey at $49.95, but worth it if you like referencing this stuff.

BTW, the Chamber is holding an open house today for their renovations and the author is signing books from 5-6 p.m.

Cool.

Is it available at Barnes & Noble? Books-A-Million? etc?

• 1 year later...

The current USAirways mag features Greenville. Well written piece.

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/city_profiles/city/greenville/

The opening paragraph:

This isn’t your average downtown. This isn’t a block or two of renovated warehouses,

pricey bistros, and contemporary art galleries. What Greenville,

South Carolina, has done to its downtown makes other cities green with envy

— think inventive restaurants, locally owned boutiques, a stellar arts scene,

and a 30-acre park with pedestrian bridge and waterfall. (And that’s barely

skimming the surface.) Located just two hours from Atlanta and Charlotte, this

is one cool city, with forward-thinking leaders and a clear-cut plan that has

transformed downtown into the destination it is today.

The current USAirways mag features Greenville. Well written piece.

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/city_profiles/city/greenville/

The opening paragraph:

This isn’t your average downtown. This isn’t a block or two of renovated warehouses,

pricey bistros, and contemporary art galleries. What Greenville,

South Carolina, has done to its downtown makes other cities green with envy

— think inventive restaurants, locally owned boutiques, a stellar arts scene,

and a 30-acre park with pedestrian bridge and waterfall. (And that’s barely

skimming the surface.) Located just two hours from Atlanta and Charlotte, this

is one cool city, with forward-thinking leaders and a clear-cut plan that has

transformed downtown into the destination it is today.

This is an excellent write-up! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just noticed today that Greenville was mentioned in the May 2010 issue of ESPN magazine. An article features 33 places across the country where sports fans can see landmarks/gravesites/museums/etc related to dead sports icons. Greenville's feature is based on Shoeless Joe Jackson. The blurb mentions the statue, museum, and ballpark as tributes to the former ballplayer. Additionally, Greenville was the only Southeast location other than one site in Florida. :thumbsup:

As a side note, the intro image for the article has a map of the US with various cartooned images of the places to visit. Rising from the Upstate is Shoeless Joe's statue in the West End. :shades:

I just noticed today that Greenville was mentioned in the May 2010 issue of ESPN magazine. An article features 33 places across the country where sports fans can see landmarks/gravesites/museums/etc related to dead sports icons. Greenville's feature is based on Shoeless Joe Jackson. The blurb mentions the statue, museum, and ballpark as tributes to the former ballplayer. Additionally, Greenville was the only Southeast location other than one site in Florida. :thumbsup:

As a side note, the intro image for the article has a map of the US with various cartooned images of the places to visit. Rising from the Upstate is Shoeless Joe's statue in the West End. :shades:

Very cool! :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

G Magazine has suspended its operations effective December 1, 2010. This is very sad news for what I considered the best magazine on the market about Greenville and the Upstate.

Oh no! That's terrible news! I feel the same way about this magazine — best representation of Greenville we have. :(

Was there an official announcement somewhere?

Edit: just saw it on their website: http://www.gvillemag.com/subscribe

Edited by Lib

Someone posted this info nearly a month ago on twitter. I was hoping it was just a joke or a rumor, but the publisher is based in Charleston and probably isn't willing to invest enough time and money in the Upstate to raise sufficient support. I thought the contents in their latest edition were quite disappointing, considering the level of quality in their previous publications.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Chris Cilizza, blogger of "The Fix" at the Washington Post, waxed rhapsodically about Greenville today in his weekly chat:

"Related note: I was in SC this week for a speech at Furman Unviersity. Greenville, SC is a VERY underrated town."

"Q:  I hope you enjoyed Greenville this week. I went to college at Furman and know it's an underrated city. What did you think about the dining        scene? I tried to tweet you a good recommendation.

A:  Loved it. I ate at Smoke on the Water and had I stayed another night would have eaten at High Cotton.

Also, the Tripleberry muffin at Coffee Undeground was really good too."

http://live.washingtonpost.com/live-fix-130118.html

Congratulations!

• 1 year later...