Publications about Greenville/Upstate

• 4 weeks later...

Front page of the WSJ today, article about the Panama Canal expansion, combined with the on-going work at the Charleston Harbor plus the inland port has created a "construction frenzy" in the upstate.  May be behind a paywall.    

http://www.wsj.com/articles/south-carolina-will-get-boost-from-expanded-panama-canal-1466674203

6 hours ago, chuckyvt said:

Front page of the WSJ today, article about the Panama Canal expansion, combined with the on-going work at the Charleston Harbor plus the inland port has created a "construction frenzy" in the upstate.  May be behind a paywall.    

http://www.wsj.com/articles/south-carolina-will-get-boost-from-expanded-panama-canal-1466674203

Found a quote from the article -

When the Panama Canal opens up a new lane for bigger ships this month, much of the cargo they carry will be headed for this quiet corner of the Southeast, some 200 miles inland.

In the past few years, the rolling hills and farmland surrounding Greenville and Spartanburg have given way to massive warehouses and industrial parks. Restaurants in Greenville, S.C.’s formerly neglected downtown cater to corporate managers and engineers from Germany and Japan. Trucks clog the two main interstates, carrying engine parts and finished goods to and from the region’s growing number of manufacturing plants.

More development is on the way: over six million square feet of warehouse space is under construction in the Greenville-Spartanburg region, a scale typically seen in major cities like Philadelphia and St. Louis, according to CBRE Inc., a real-estate brokerage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A flattering article from the Chicago Tribune -

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/sc-greenville-south-carolina-travel-0809-20160801-story.html

"A river ran through it. Falls, too. But nobody noticed.

Now the Reedy River Falls, and the park that surrounds it and the suspension bridge that spans it, are at the heart of one of the great smallish-town successes in the United States.

Greenville, population 62,000, is very cool. Put it this way: If you were planning a drive to Charleston or Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head or any of the usual South Carolina suspects and only saw Greenville as a place to fill your tank and empty your bladder, you might want to tweak your itinerary a bit."

--------------------------

The article makes the point the great improvement since the 1980s but does go a little overboard.  There is the claim that you couldn't drive down Main Street because of the crime.  Really? My dad had an office downtown then and I helped him out.  It wasn't that bad from my own experience.    

Definitely overstatement. I won't repeat comments I recently made in the coffee house mall history thread. But I will add that there were a few dives on the fringes of downtown. They seemed to a teenager like me to be pretty scary places. Maybe I'd still be scared of them today.

The biggest problem (in terms of scale) was probably teenagers cruising Main on weekends. There was probably vandalism and drugs, and definitely alcohol, associated with that to some degree. I'm not sure when the barricades went up at night to bring a stop to cruising, but none of this, as far as I know, affected things during the daytime. I bought the watch I still wear at Hales downtown in 1987, and also bought my nicer clothing downtown till I moved away in 1988.

On 8/9/2016 at 8:06 PM, Exile said:

Definitely overstatement. I won't repeat comments I recently made in the coffee house mall history thread. But I will add that there were a few dives on the fringes of downtown. They seemed to a teenager like me to be pretty scary places. Maybe I'd still be scared of them today.

The biggest problem (in terms of scale) was probably teenagers cruising Main on weekends. There was probably vandalism and drugs, and definitely alcohol, associated with that to some degree. I'm not sure when the barricades went up at night to bring a stop to cruising, but none of this, as far as I know, affected things during the daytime. I bought the watch I still wear at Hales downtown in 1987, and also bought my nicer clothing downtown till I moved away in 1988.

Right, there was a problem with high school kids from the area cruising Main Street.  They put up the barricades to discourage that.  They also had a law that let the police ticket you for driving past the same spot three times in some set time frame.

On 8/11/2016 at 10:38 AM, B&R said:

Right, there was a problem with high school kids from the area cruising Main Street.  They put up the barricades to discourage that.  They also had a law that let the police ticket you for driving past the same spot three times in some set time frame.

I will add that I went downtown to cruise on a few occasions. My perspective is limited, because we were there more to watch than to participate (it was a cultural phenomenon to us), but I never felt in danger when I was in the one-big-traffic-jam that cruising was. Definitely a public nuisance and something you didn't want around, with the Hyatt about to open. Probably more than the barricades, it was narrowing Main St. to two lanes that brought an end to cruising (along with the aggressive ticketing that B&R mentions).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

National Geographic Travel’s Best Small Cities 2018

#4 Charleston SC: "Most Instagrammed, Most Artsy"
#7 Columbia SC: "Best Groomed, Meatiest"
#8 Asheville NC: "Most Artsy, Sudsiest"
#9 Greenville SC: "Meatiest"
#14 - Hickory SC: "Hipster Friendly"

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2018/01/18/national-geographic-traveler-best-small-cities/1042839001/

• 3 months later...

Here is an interesting article about Greenville (mostly highlights local food options) from The Daily Meal network:

72 Hours in Greenville, SC

Greenville far exceeded our expectations. Whether you come for the festive fall colors or the vibrant music scene, sweetening the deal is the unparalleled Southern hospitality. Greenville is a melting point of cultures and cuisines — think hipster Austin meets food-centric Philadelphia, but with the friendliest people.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...