Publications about Greenville/Upstate

All these news outlets continue to focus on the race side of gentrification. I get that these are majority black neighborhoods, but gentrification can displace one of any race; just whomever happens to live there. The reasons that blacks live in these areas in higher numbers are many and complicated, but gentrification came after those reasons and there's nothing racial behind it. It's about poverty and refreshing run down places. No one wants people to be displaced against their will but many of these residents may be better off not living in a particular neighborhood if if it has become riddled with crime and drugs; as many of these have. It's true they may just have to find another neighborhood with similar issues, but there are other solutions for that. Keeping run down and even violent neighborhoods as they are (just so people don't have to move) does no one any good at all, including those who live there. I'd say the same if it was a predominately white or Latino neighborhood with similar issues. 

I have decided to just completely ignore these silly and fake news stories regarding gentrification. They will all go away in a few days and then we can get back to normal. Less boarded up homes, drugs, and crime is a good thing and nobody is going to change my opinion of that. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 11:11 AM, distortedlogic said:

We need to turn off the PR machine; getting too crowded around here. I am going to write in and tell them Chas, Richland, and Lexington are MUCH better counties and to republish the article! :ph34r:

Meep…

https://amp.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article273141450.html?fbclid=IwAR3EKT5YOQxcyCdJEs8TxbzVasb-xk6VFL-4ZUH6jCzf-xwTqaOoMOXJxfk

The magazine Good Housekeeping picked the 10 best places in the United States to go for spring break. 

One is in South Carolina.

Of course, it’s Myrtle Beach. No? Charleston, Hilton Head? Another of the perennial favorite islands like Pawleys or Edisto? No, no, no and no.

Edited by gman430

21 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Meep…

https://amp.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article273141450.html?fbclid=IwAR3EKT5YOQxcyCdJEs8TxbzVasb-xk6VFL-4ZUH6jCzf-xwTqaOoMOXJxfk

The magazine Good Housekeeping picked the 10 best places in the United States to go for spring break. 

One is in South Carolina.

Of course, it’s Myrtle Beach. No? Charleston, Hilton Head? Another of the perennial favorite islands like Pawleys or Edisto? No, no, no and no.

This is exactly the kind of exposure that needs to stop; we're full! :D

Actually pretty funny; I saw the headline earlier but didn't even read the article. I assumed it was automatically Charleston or MYB; I mean the beach is almost always associated with Spring Break.

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Greenville ranked as one of top 10 food cities in the country: 

https://www.travelandleisure.com/best-food-cities-in-the-us-7254754

I tell people that when I moved to Greenville in 1996, that the best restaurant in town was Applebee's. It wasn't far from the truth either.

You've come a long way, baby! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2021 at 2:00 PM, transplant08 said:

book about Greenville

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0520384180

Furman's Ken Kolb earns James Beard Foundation Award nomination in Food Issues and Advocacy

"Author, department chair and professor of Sociology at Furman University, Kenneth Kolb, has been nominated for the 2023 Media Award by the James Beard Foundation for his literary work entitled: Retail Inequality: Reframing the Food Desert Debate"

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2023/04/27/furman-ken-kolb-earns-james-beard-award-nomination-in-food-issues-desert-nutrition/70157837007/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.coworkingcafe.com/blog/the-best-cities-for-the-class-of-23/

Not *about* Greenville, but Greenville is prominently mentioned in this article that was just posted in the Charlotte forum.  It's listing of the best places to begin a career after college, based on several criteria, including "leisure establishments/100k population." Greenville stands out as scoring huge in leisure establishments compared to just about everybody else except for Fort Lauderdale. What accounts for this?

Also, it is odd to me that Raleigh counts as a large city, while Pittsburgh is mid-sized. Apparently only looking at population within city limits. But if so, then it's leisure establishments within city limits, which makes Greenville's numbers even more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Greenville is one of those remarkable untold stories with the downtown area and seeing it when we were there in 2005 and returned in 2017, it was just total transformation," Sankey said. "We had a reception down at the (Center for Creative Arts) overlooking the river and I remarked to a colleague, 'I don't know what people know about Greenville, but standing here, they need to know. "

-Greg Sankey. SEC Commissioner. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2016 at 8:15 PM, Jet-set said:

Another Top Ten for Greenville! This time from Livability.com (again)

http://www.livability.com/top-10/downtowns/top-10-downtowns/2016/sc/greenville

I was in your fair city yesterday, spending time with my daughter, who has lived there three years now. Every time I visit, I am more impressed by what I find. I've been travelling to Greenville to visit family on an off for 52 years, and for about 10 years, for work. I have watched downtown, and its surroundings, evolve. There are so many quality developments, and it blows me away how nice it is. Just a shout out from a Columbia guy, who is equally proud of, and excited for, the future of my hometown. Keep it going!  

• Like 4

• 6 months later...