Spartanburg's Leaders

roads-scholar

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I should have been more clear. I was making a jab at the good ol' boy system in Spartanburg, since she's obviously using common sense as roads-scholar pointed out. I don't know enough about Junie White and if would be a good mayor. I assume he would be good at selling Spartanburg, since he's been a prominent citizen for years. Mayors act more as a cheerleader than anything.

• 1 month later...

I know Mr. WHite and his story. He is a hard-working man who came from Gaffney. His family were mill workers and sharecroppers. After serving in the Navy, he established his first gas station in Spartanburg in the early 60's (located where 221 meets 85).

He was determined to be successful and he sure has succeded while helping others along the way. He has been a mentor to many and a philanthropist.

I think he will listen to anyone and try to help more of our citizens, not just the eastside developers.

Don't forget to vote!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't worry. IF Mr. Fowler is elected (and I seriously doubt he will have enough support to surpass Mr. White), then he will not be able to simply declare the park at Morgan Square needs to go and have it done. I'd wager the potential for opposition of such a notion would be much greater in the end. Speaking of the small park at Morgan Square, what ever happened to the proposal to build a bandstand/gazebo there? I still love that idea and think it is precisely the type of element the park needs to top off its attractiveness to local citizens.

Don't worry. IF Mr. Fowler is elected (and I seriously doubt he will have enough support to surpass Mr. White), then he will not be able to simply declare the park at Morgan Square needs to go and have it done. I'd wager the potential for opposition of such a notion would be much greater in the end. Speaking of the small park at Morgan Square, what ever happened to the proposal to build a bandstand/gazebo there? I still love that idea and think it is precisely the type of element the park needs to top off its attractiveness to local citizens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Spartanburg Spark has video of the last City Council meeting. It is chopped into segments. IMO, Preservation Trust gets a black eye from some council members

and Hampton Heights residents. P. Trust has asked for a house that they own to me re-zoned to Limited Office Dist from r=8 (single family residential)

Interesting to watch.... cool.

http://www.spartanburgspark.com/2010/02/09/video-spartanburg-city-council-feb-9-2010/

Ah, I didn't realize someone actually wanted to buy that house.

What I should have said is that visually, the first few houses on that block of Spring St appear to be offices (regardless of whether they are or not they are zoned for it).

Where else could the Trust and the PAL and the other group move to? They are going to need a larger office if they are going to partner together

Archived