Richmond's Next Mayor?

wrldcoupe4

This thread is for all mayoral campaign/election discussions.

With Wilder announcing he won't be seeking re-election, who will become Richmond's next strong mayor? I think this topic should generate enough discussion and is important enough to warrant its own thread. And... let's play nice :fun:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My aunt suggested I run.... HA! As much stuff as I've said about the projects and the poor... it wouldn't look good. Plus I have no experience in anything but dreams.

Jones seems to have quite a backing from the state legislature and this might not be such a bad thing with the economy going the way it is going. When times are tough, the only real entities throwing money around are the governments. So it would be beneficial to the city to have a mayor with strong state government ties. He also seems to be quite level-headed and although I do not know much about him, he appears to be a strong leader.

On the other hand, I am against these reverands, pastors or deacons that run for politics. Have we learned nothing from the rev. Hedgepeth or rev. Leonidas Young? It seems that the good reverends are the ones that we end up not being able to trust. I believe in separation of church and state to the point where heads of churches should not be in politics. Keep the pulpit out of politics and keep politics away from the pulpit.

Style Weekly's Chris Dovi has all but officially endorsed Paul Goldman while claiming Mr. Grey has "baggage." The baggage is not that Grey has served time, or even that he is a pastor. Grey signed a letter recommending appointment of the school board over election of same. Some may consider that stance less than "baggage" in light of Richmond's past electoral misfortunes.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an inRich report on its discussion with mayoral candidates. Apparently, two who said they would run for Mayor did not collect enough voter-eligible signers, so Rodney Barnes and L. Shirley Harvey will not be among choices -- nor will Carol Wolf continue her stint on the School Board for similar reasons.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/politic...06-17-0117.html

Here's the inRich video. Warning: it's very long:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/Richmond_mayor.html

I say let's do this American Idol style! Each week the candidates get to do something relevant and Richmonders, only Richmonders, can call and vote for their favorite until the last two are left standing for November.

Archived