Wedding Locations

Hey UP friend-os,

My sister-in-law is getting married September 09 - they are looking for a location in or around GR - here's their criteria:

1. Indoors

2. Fairly budget-conscious

3. An interesting place (ie, no Elks Lodge, museums would be cool{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}!)

4. 150 guests

5. Would like to have the ceremony and reception at the same place.

Any ideas or contacts you wonderful people would have would be greatly appreciated and MAY be rewarded with a bottle of my Cheshire Cat Double IPA!!

Correy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey UP friend-os,

My sister-in-law is getting married September 09 - they are looking for a location in or around GR - here's their criteria:

1. Indoors

2. Fairly budget-conscious

3. An interesting place (ie, no Elks Lodge, museums would be cool{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}!)

4. 150 guests

5. Would like to have the ceremony and reception at the same place.

Since this is right after Labor Day and the busy summer season, I would look into Grand Haven. You can still get some good days by the lake, and likely receive excellent rates at some of the hotels. I believe Jack's at the Holiday Inn in Grand Haven could accomodate such an occasion, and they have a nice outdoor seating area and bar.

We got married in the park pavillion at Fallsburg Park. Townsend also has one. They are indoors and have a fireplace where you can build a fire if its cold. My husband went to one there and they brought in a braided rug and such for before the fireplace and said it was quite nice. They have a kitchen for the reception which is what we did.

I went to a wedding reception a few years ago at the Coopersville Farm Museum. The ceremony was actually at a nearby church, but it could probably be held at the museum as well. Between the wedding and reception the guests were given tickets for a ride on the Coopersville & Marne Railway.

My parents once went to a wedding on the Michigan Princess riverboat in Lansing, which they apparently enjoyed. There is another riverboat in Grandville called the Grand Lady Riverboat, but I don't know anyone who has ridden or held an event on it.

Someone I know is having their reception this summer at the Public Museum of Grand Rapids. Having been there before at night for a private party, it's certainly a unique and interesting experience, but I think it's also quite expensive.

The Frederik Meijer Gardens would probably be a great place to hold a wedding, but again, not the most affordable location.

We got married in the park pavillion at Fallsburg Park. Townsend also has one. They are indoors and have a fireplace where you can build a fire if its cold. My husband went to one there and they brought in a braided rug and such for before the fireplace and said it was quite nice. They have a kitchen for the reception which is what we did.

Awwww, you guys rock. Fallasburg is great, that's where I was married last May. Great location.

Keep the suggestions coming if you have any. She really likes the idea of an urban setting in a historical building.

We looked at the UICA yesterday - its very cool and modern.

Right across the street (that would be Fulton) from the Womens City Club is the Masonic Hall. They have a beautiful huge social hall on the third floor; I have not seen the rest of the building (ceremony site).

[not a fan of smelling the chow during the official stuff]

I'm just here for the double IPA! :thumbsup:

Otherwise I'm not much help. My wife and I had our reception at Hawk Hollow golf course near Lansing. Ridiculously cheap for both room and catering, fantastic view, good food as well. To get the same quality stuff in GR would have literally been 3x more expensive. But nothing "urban" about it.

Wedding Planning is so much fun. I'm all about having a Green Wedding this October, thus far I have reserved the UICA for our reception.

As far as places mentioned:

• The auditorium in 920 Cherry seats around 100pp; 150pp seated would be a tight fight with not much space to move around. A picture in front of the building ranks in the Top Ten for Local GR Must-Have Wedding Pictures.

• The Masonic Temple costs around $900 to rent the space. I wasn't excited about this space.

• Western Michigan University's reception areas are not very unique and you have to use their caterers.

Have you checked out the 3rd floor at San Chez Bistro, 38 W Fulton? They have room for the wedding and reception overlooking downtown. San Chez is one of the main caterers at my wedding reception.

Between wedding planning and the 2009 MHPN conference in GR, I've looked at most spaces in the central city. Have fun!

Wedding Planning is so much fun. I'm all about having a Green Wedding this October, thus far I have reserved the UICA for our reception.

As far as places mentioned:

• The auditorium in 920 Cherry seats around 100pp; 150pp seated would be a tight fight with not much space to move around. A picture in front of the building ranks in the Top Ten for Local GR Must-Have Wedding Pictures.

• The Masonic Temple costs around $900 to rent the space. I wasn't excited about this space.

• Western Michigan University's reception areas are not very unique and you have to use their caterers.

Have you checked out the 3rd floor at San Chez Bistro, 38 W Fulton? They have room for the wedding and reception overlooking downtown. San Chez is one of the main caterers at my wedding reception.

Between wedding planning and the 2009 MHPN conference in GR, I've looked at most spaces in the central city. Have fun!

Kent County Parks would be nice for a daytime/afternoon event. If memory serves, the annual contra dance that's held at Johnson Park (it has a great indoor pavillion) has to end by 9:30 so the place can be vacated by 10 pm. No booze.

• 2 weeks later...

One more?

Old GRAM.

It was open for Festival. The plumbing still works. I saw where it's owned by the City (possibly receptive to the revenue). Beautiful wide-open venue (the gallery area) and upstairs is a wood-floored social hall with a stage.

HTH

My wedding last August was at Quail Ridge Golf Course in Ada. Got the wedding and reception rented for $500 and a 2 entree buffet for $19 a head. Fit 150 easily though the clubhouse is a tad on the small side, but it was perfect for us. Access to the outside patio during the reception. The wedding was outside and our weather was perfect, thank goodness.

Budget conscious (made us very happy) but not urban or too interesting, a good choice to look into though and they were easy to work with.

Archived