Why we need to keep building train transit.

monsoon

I would hazard to guess that the same people who worked so hard to repeal the transit tax are the same folks who work so hard to ensconce themselves behind "community" walls. Monsoon's topic is all about linkage and the benefits this community gains when we embrace it.

Our new Greenway Master Plan does the same, but in a different way. Unfortunately, there are many of the same ilk who continue to fight tooth & nail impeding it's implementation. No need to look further than the newest extension of the McAlpine Greenway and the 10 ft walls that a couple of individuals have built hoping to shield themselves from the evils that lurk outside their cocoons....

This is a great topic.. I just wish the larger community held to the same openness as those voicing their opinions here...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our new Greenway Master Plan does the same, but in a different way. Unfortunately, there are many of the same ilk who continue to fight tooth & nail impeding it's implementation. No need to look further than the newest extension of the McAlpine Greenway and the 10 ft walls that a couple of individuals have built hoping to shield themselves from the evils that lurk outside their cocoons....

I'm not sure exactly what walls you're referring to, but I envision someone fencing off the back of their yard which faces onto the greenway. If that perception is correct, I think it's a bit different than refusing to sit on a bus or train. I can't blame someone for not wanting his backyard to open up on a public park; there are some common-sense security issues with that, especially if these homes are built in a suburban style.

I see nothing wrong with using a fence to clearly define the border between private and public space, to keep the dogs and kids in, etc. I'm not a big fan of those 6 foot tall privacy fences though. If you want an "impenetrable" privacy border, plant a dense shrub.

Archived