For any Comcast Basic/Expanded Basic Cable Users

For those of you that have basic comcast cable service, have you noticed on some channels that you lose sound a lot? It happens to us a lot. I don't know if it happens on the digital service. We are switching to dish in hopes that this will fix it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it happens on my basic channels and on the HD channels. I have also had problems with the DVR recording only the first couple minutes and last couple minutes of a scheduled recording. I'm glad to see the AT&T trucks all around town. I will be switching the day it becomes available in my area. I hate Comcast.

Yes, it happens on my basic channels and on the HD channels. I have also had problems with the DVR recording only the first couple minutes and last couple minutes of a scheduled recording. I'm glad to see the AT&T trucks all around town. I will be switching the day it becomes available in my area. I hate Comcast.

Same in Holland. Sunday afternoon it would cut out every minute or so for about 5 seconds.

What crappy terchnology they must have! Can't wait until ATT comes to my area. They'll probabyl get my internet business too. Maybe that will force COmcast to improve.

Charter offers pretty much everything Comcast does, with similar (abysmal) customer service and similar (ridiculously high) prices. That's who I have for digital cable and internet. No better or worse than Comcast IMO.

For those of you with Uverse - can you elaborate on the install process? I already have every room in the house wired with coax and a central location (in the basement) were they all split. I've read (GR Press) the Uverse install is an all-day process to "network" your house. Do they have to run ethernet lines or what??

Charter offers pretty much everything Comcast does, with similar (abysmal) customer service and similar (ridiculously high) prices. That's who I have for digital cable and internet. No better or worse than Comcast IMO.

For those of you with Uverse - can you elaborate on the install process? I already have every room in the house wired with coax and a central location (in the basement) were they all split. I've read (GR Press) the Uverse install is an all-day process to "network" your house. Do they have to run ethernet lines or what??

Add me to the list - it really stinks watching a hockey game on surround sound when the sound cuts out every 20 seconds for 4-5 seconds - Has anyone phoned Comcast to find out what the deal is? Mine has been doing this for about 3-4 days.

Regarding Clearwire

When I was living in Raleigh - they had Clearwire internet service there...decently priced - cost me about $35/mo - I think there was a cheaper plan though for $25/mo. You get a clunky modem that stands up - but it isn't annoying if you are using it for your home. I absolutely loved the service. Paying the bill was easy, never any interruptions, had some difficulties with the signal because I was in an apartment on the 1st floor of a 4 story building so I had to move my computer to the window for better reception...but all in all I was very satisfied.

If we can get something like that in Grand Rapids, I would be tickled.

Regarding the noise cutout in the channels...

I have Charter - and we have been noticing lately that the sound doesn't cut off - but it fades and then gets really loud - and it happens a lot -- I wouldn't say it's on every channel just specific ones (probably the ones in HD?). It's been really annoying...so I don't think it's just a Comcast issue. They'll probably want to tell us it's something with our tv's and we need to go buy new expensive cables to make it better. I'm trying to get my roommate to cancel the tv altogether because we hardly watch it.

Ah bureaucracy. You can submit a complaint to Comcast. It's on their end. Generally there's a city cable commission that acts as the go between the local cable provider (Comcast) and the city/you. In Grand Rapids that is the Office of Cable Television Administration. Their page on the irksome City of Grand Rapids website is here:

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=2560

For some reason they cannot answer complaints directly, you have to send them here:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=5355

My hope is that these complaints somehow make it back to the city commission or that Comcast has to review its complaints with the commission, but I always assume the worst having a background in cable franchising and public access tv.

Sounds like the best bet would be to show up at the next public meeting of the Cable Television Advisory Forum on June 2, 6pm, City Hall, 300 Monroe NW, Room 901. It's their duty to take your complaints back to the Office of Cable Television Administration http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=7423

This is a citizen review board so you don't have to get all shouty at them.

Reminds me of the film Brazil!

Ah bureaucracy. You can submit a complaint to Comcast. It's on their end. Generally there's a city cable commission that acts as the go between the local cable provider (Comcast) and the city/you. In Grand Rapids that is the Office of Cable Television Administration. Their page on the irksome City of Grand Rapids website is here:

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=2560

For some reason they cannot answer complaints directly, you have to send them here:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=5355

My hope is that these complaints somehow make it back to the city commission or that Comcast has to review its complaints with the commission, but I always assume the worst having a background in cable franchising and public access tv.

Sounds like the best bet would be to show up at the next public meeting of the Cable Television Advisory Forum on June 2, 6pm, City Hall, 300 Monroe NW, Room 901. It's their duty to take your complaints back to the Office of Cable Television Administration http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=7423

This is a citizen review board so you don't have to get all shouty at them.

Reminds me of the film Brazil!

Hey - quick question for Comcast users - do you have to have one of those digital boxes to get the tv?

We have one with our Charter service - and we finally called Charter to complain about it and since we have a Charter office here in town - I went down there and they gave me a brand new cable box (it looks like a cable modem now it was so tiny) and all my problems went away.

Maybe if Comcast uses the boxes, yours could be going bad?

Archived