Plans for Mission Blvd

jderose1

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and think its great from what I've read.

I am considering buying a house located on N. Mission Blvd. between North Street and Lafayette Street. Mission is currently a 2-lane highway and most homes are pretty close to the road once you pass North Street and get into the historical district. I see that the Master Street Plan for Fayetteville shows North Street and E. Mission (Hwy 45 out to Goshen) as principal arterials.

Does anyone know if there are plans to route Hwy 45 traffic along North Street instead going all the way to Lafayette? Are there any other proposed improvements or road construction for N. Mission? Any idea how soon we're talking about?

Thanks.....!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, Mission wasn't included in the Transportation Bond Improvement Program in 2006 which shows every priority the city intends to work on through 2010. These plans change from time to time.

Mission is a State Highway in that section, and the state could have other sooner plans.

I believe what I have heard about it is that any expansion would take place to North Street, and that traffic would be routed over the hill there primarily. The city is investing in traffic calming on Lafayette which is the rest of Hwy 45 in that neighborhood, so I doubt the expansion include anything through that neighborhood.

The primary discussion of adding a turn lane was during the planning process for Ruskin Heights. Ruskin might know more than I do.

Considering how other roads like Garland have been talked about for widening and it still looks like it might be another year before it happens I would think Mission will be something they'll look more into for the future. I'd be surprised if they got around to widening it in 5 years, possibly ten. But I do think there's a chance it could happen eventually. So if you're talking about long term plans then yeah you could be affected. But I think there also could be more public outcry about widening Mission as opposed to other roads. I suppose if enough people complained there's a chance they might look into another alternative. But honestly it seems like at some point there's going to have to be some road in that area widened and Mission does overall make the most sense. But like cocothief said, Ruskin might know more about it. Maybe he can provide a little more info.

We are adding a couple of turning lanes farther east in front of our neighborhood and will add a traffic signal when we meet the State's required warrants (although there is some chance the City or State will require us to add a continuous section of turn lane, which I am opposing). Hopefully these improvements will keep widening Mission to the West off of the agenda for a while. After all, traffic studies of Mission show that the level of service for cars on Mission is actually very high, it is the cross streets accessing Mission that have a low level of service. Widening Mission will certainly not help that, but providing traffic breaks with a traffic light will.

FYI, for anyone interested...

I talked with the Highway Dept. district engineer and City of Fayetteville engineering division. The Highway Dept didn't have much info, but the City did. Plans are for E. Mission to be 4-lanes (with some sections having 5-lanes for turn lane) from North to Crossover. N. Mission from North to Lafayette will remain 2-lane but may have improvements. Plans are for North to also be widened to 4-lanes eventually (but will be costly, difficult).

In general, the goal is to decrease traffic on N. Mission and Lafayette. Lafayette is currently having lanes narrowed and adding curb/gutter/sidewalk I think.

Good news for those in the historic area.

Thanks for everyone's input. I realize now this is more of an information sharing website than a question asking type... But the content is great.

FYI, for anyone interested...

I talked with the Highway Dept. district engineer and City of Fayetteville engineering division. The Highway Dept didn't have much info, but the City did. Plans are for E. Mission to be 4-lanes (with some sections having 5-lanes for turn lane) from North to Crossover. N. Mission from North to Lafayette will remain 2-lane but may have improvements. Plans are for North to also be widened to 4-lanes eventually (but will be costly, difficult).

In general, the goal is to decrease traffic on N. Mission and Lafayette. Lafayette is currently having lanes narrowed and adding curb/gutter/sidewalk I think.

Good news for those in the historic area.

Thanks for everyone's input. I realize now this is more of an information sharing website than a question asking type... But the content is great.

I wonder if they will come about also. There would be such resistance to widening North between Mission and College and it would be so expensive that I don't think it will ever happen. Without that connection it wouldn't make sense to widen the rest of Mission- where would the traffic go?

Here's a crazy idea, build a tunnel between Mission and College for North St. That would take away some of the opposition and probably wouldn't be anymore expensive than a road cut.

Archived