Charlotte and the Pro Wrestling Business

monsoon

Some of you may remember that Charlotte was once one of the places where the pro-wrestling business took place. One of the most notable personalities of that era is Rick Flare who still lives in Charlotte. That ended about 15-20 years ago when Jim Crockett sold out his NWA franchise to the WCW in Atlanta.

So the other night I notice the NWA is back on TV on the CoLours TV network. That caught my interest so I looked into it and noticed that a lot of press announcements are coming from Charlotte. See here. So does anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of you may remember that Charlotte was once one of the places where the pro-wrestling business took place. One of the most notable personalities of that era is Rick Flare who still lives in Charlotte. That ended about 15-20 years ago when Jim Crockett sold out his NWA franchise to the WCW in Atlanta.

So the other night I notice the NWA is back on TV on the CoLours TV network. That caught my interest so I looked into it and noticed that a lot of press announcements are coming from Charlotte. See here. So does anyone know anything about this?

Maybe Andy Kaufman is setting the stage for his next Inter-Gender World Champship Match?

I have no clue either, but Charlotte was BIG....we had Ricky Steamboat, Art Anderson, and many other "superstars" living here...and they say Charlotte has no soul....

• 10 months later...

LOL^....That's classic. I had seen an advert for these guys but didn't think twice about it until I found their website. www.nwacharlotte.com

Looks as though Rick Flair's son is a wrestler for these guys, as well as Ricky Steamboat Jr. They have dates and directions to the NWA Charlotte Coliseum on the right hand side. I checked it out on Google Earth; not so much a 'coliseum' as a warehouse in west Charlotte near 85.

Anyone up for a little adventure? For $5 it might be worth a chuckle or two.

Archived