Lexington County

BryCola

Moderator's Edit:

Ok, we now have a dedicated thread for Lexington County topics. Dont forget that Cayce and West Columbia have their own thread, so please use that one for issues related to that area (see my previous post for a link).

The issue of Irmo and Seven Oaks area being in both counties is a valid topic. If issues come up there, I suggest putting them in the Columbia Area Developments thread, unless is somehow pertains to the entire county.

-Spartan

I hope this is ok in this thread...it's a "Columbia area development", so I guess it is. :) I mentioned this in the coffee shop, but thought I'd put it here. I had asked if anyone heard about a new mall in Lexington, and no one had. Well, I found out a bit more info about it this weekend. My brother is an engineer that tests soil before construction can begin on projects, and he received VERY preliminary information about a REAL mall (as opposed to a strip mall) on 378 at the location of the old Corley Lumber mill. Apparently there are environmental issues with the property because of the mill...which is why my brother's company is involved. Supposedly Macy's and Belk's are 2 of the anchors of the mall. Since this is so early in the process, I imagine it will be a while before anything is made public. Just thougth I'd share what I know.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought enclosed malls were pretty much a thing of the past and that "lifestyle centers" were the wave of the future?

Should I assume that this location is at Corley Mill Road and 378? That would be at the I-20/378 interchange so at least it would be away from the Lexington bottleneck.

I thought enclosed malls were pretty much a thing of the past and that "lifestyle centers" were the wave of the future?

Should I assume that this location is at Corley Mill Road and 378? That would be at the I-20/378 interchange so at least it would be away from the Lexington bottleneck.

Did a quick check on the Lex GIS site... It appears the Corleys still own all of that property -- it's a huge piece of land in several parcels. I wonder who they are in discussions with to develop it. I would be surprised to see a traditional mall, but it wouldn't be entirely unwelcome. I do hope it is designed with traffic flow in mind!

Also, wasn't there some talk a while back about Kahn (Sandhill) developing a lifestyle center type of thing near the intersection of 378 and Hope's Ferry? Wonder what the status of that is.

Don't we have a Lexington topic around here somewhere? :)

Ok...I talked to my brother this weekend (as opposed to getting second hand info from my parents), and he said the exact same thing y'all have said..."They don't build malls anymore". He said it would be more of a VAS thing. Again, probably a LONG way from being announced.

• 2 weeks later...
Did a quick check on the Lex GIS site... It appears the Corleys still own all of that property -- it's a huge piece of land in several parcels. I wonder who they are in discussions with to develop it. I would be surprised to see a traditional mall, but it wouldn't be entirely unwelcome. I do hope it is designed with traffic flow in mind!

Also, wasn't there some talk a while back about Kahn (Sandhill) developing a lifestyle center type of thing near the intersection of 378 and Hope's Ferry? Wonder what the status of that is.

Don't we have a Lexington topic around here somewhere? :)

IS THERE a lexington topic here? I didn't see it........

There is SO MUCH going on out there it's crazy....unfortunately it doens't seem like there is a real master plan.

Every acre from target to I-20 is for sale....i mean what does that end up looking like in 5 years? another broad river road or the old area two notch???

I heard the church to the right of target and best buy was trying to be bought to develop more, but obviously nothing is done there....that little strip mall sitting by itself is a little odd, don't you think?

a mall would make the entire area CRAZY........

Ok, we now have a dedicated thread for Lexington County topics. Dont forget that Cayce and West Columbia have their own thread, so please use that one for issues related to that area (see my previous post for a link).

The issue of Irmo and Seven Oaks area being in both counties is a valid topic. If issues come up there, I suggest putting them in the Columbia Area Developments thread, unless is somehow pertains to the entire county.

Lexington County has some fairly loose zoning laws that basically guide development in terms of land use, but don't require much in the way of specific, detailed zoning review like the more standard euclidean zoning requires (eg: Richland County). I'm not sure if their system is up to the challenge of controlling sprawl or not. Something tells me its not.

But if some company tries to open up a steel smelting plant next door, I bet you and your neighbors would raise some hell. Or what about a landfill? Pick your poison, but the fact is that zoning does allow for separation of incompatible land uses. That catch is that any zoning that is implemented should take into account that many uses should be compatible and connected- especially commercial/office and residential.

You're definitely an exception. People will always say "I've been living here for 10 years and I should be able to have a say in what happens because it will affect my property values." In fact, it almost always comes down to property values. But when there's no zoning, there' snot much you can do.

You're definitely an exception. People will always say "I've been living here for 10 years and I should be able to have a say in what happens because it will affect my property values." In fact, it almost always comes down to property values. But when there's no zoning, there' snot much you can do.

Yeah, I know.

It is an issue that we thought about when we bought our house. There's a fair chance that commercial interests could be popping up and there is more rental property nearby than we'd like. However, we both feel that the landowners can do as they wish and we'll adopt.

Or move. Whichever.

Krazee, I agree that some government is needed, but I strongly feel that government is far to intrusive in out lives. Also, some forms of government that ARE needed have too high a level of attention. For instance, I think that education should be at the highest, a state concern. I'd much prefer county being the highest level, but don't think the federal government has any business in the field of education.

Education and land regulations are unrelated issues.

It's not simply an issue of more commercial or rental than you'd like. It's an issue of taking the home that you've purchased and rendering it essentially valueless. The mentality that "land regulations are bad" is one that vanishes with the first rock quarry, the first sewer that backs up, the first nuclear plant proposal, the first strip club proposal, the first landfill proposal, the first catastrophic occurence of bad planning. Sure, you can claim that you'll just move... but for most people, that's unrealistic. It is not coincidental that locations in South Carolina with the most development also have the most land regulations.

Development is a challenging process that places tremendous burdens on local jurisdictions. Ironically, it is the existing owners with the "anti-establishment" mentality that are typically shouldered with the biggest burdens of unchecked development.

^I have to give you credit for being reasonable about your view points, even though I don't agree with them. I suspect that impact fees are still a ways off for Lexington (unless you've heard otherwise), but if done correctly it should be an effective tool.

^Thanks, I appreciate that.

One of the things I like about this site is that people generally don't agree with me. I like to hear alternative views, even though I may not agree with them. That's how you learn things. As long as no one gets nasty, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

The people of Lexco seem to think the same way I do, so I like the area. I really hope it develops to my liking, if not...I'll deal with it.

I guess growing up in the country makes you see things i a totally different way. I've lived in rural, urban, and suburban settings, and they all have plusses and minuses. Given the choice, I'll go suburbs, closely followed by rural, with urban a very distant third. But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

As for the impact fees...like I said, I'm HOPING, but will wait and see.

^Thanks, I appreciate that.

One of the things I like about this site is that people generally don't agree with me. I like to hear alternative views, even though I may not agree with them. That's how you learn things. As long as no one gets nasty, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

The people of Lexco seem to think the same way I do, so I like the area. I really hope it develops to my liking, if not...I'll deal with it.

I guess growing up in the country makes you see things i a totally different way. I've lived in rural, urban, and suburban settings, and they all have plusses and minuses. Given the choice, I'll go suburbs, closely followed by rural, with urban a very distant third. But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

As for the impact fees...like I said, I'm HOPING, but will wait and see.

Archived