Simsbury might be learning some lessons

MadVlad

It sounds like Mary Glassman, First Selectman from Simsbury is having a hard time of things. This article should be lesson one that the towns in the area need to work together and be a part of greater Hartford than to ostrasize it. Basically, she's saying Simsbury is too nice and needs the State top help out. Maybe if these towns stopped treating Hartford like a red-headed step-child some of these issues could be cured. This is also a wake-up call to companies like the Hartford, it appears they are having a hard time keeping their younger work force. Maybe if they stayed around the central city instead of moving out to the burbs they wouldn't be in this quandry. But hey, I guess that's the towns problem, not theirs. End sarcasm.

We love our rich little town, but woe are we

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I have a hard time reacting to something like this in any way other than mockery.

People fled the city to the burbs so the insurance companies followd them

young people do not do well in suburban environments because it is understimulating.

companies have difficulty hiring the best and brightest.

young people lookd for places to live in active city cores.

places like NY and Boston Boom with youthfulll energy as these young stars begin to earn and shine.

these young stars get married and move to the wealthy burbs of these major cities.

smaller cities try and catch up.

There are no 1 bed room apartments available in downtown Hartford.

now whats next.

Who will be the developer with the smarts to build a massive building for the young and hip to live downtown?

I'd say Nyberg, but he doesn't seem to build, just rehabilitate, which is fine. It's just the attitude of exclusivity that pervades this area that really, really bugs me.A good example is the town I live in, Berlin. People that live in the Kensington section get insulted if you say they are from Berlin, yet Kensington is nothing but a section of Berlin, heaven forbid they say they are from Berlin. Yet please remind me where the Kensington High School is, where the Kensington Police department is, and where the Kensington Town Hall is. The answer is that they don't exist, the Berlin HS, PD and TH are all in the Kensington section of BERLIN! People always want to purvey themselves as something better, but really, who cares. It's also comical when we bring up annexation of the towns surrounding Hartford that people totally balk at that idea because they think they'll be subsidizing Hartford. Meanwhile, Hartford provides these towns with a bunch of services that these towns like to avoid/ignore, like methadone clinics. You think all the drug addicts in Hartford are from Hartford? I'm saying probably very few are originally from there. Maybe if West Hartford wants to be so exclusive, they can start taking care of their own problems and not heap them into Hartford.

There in lies the curse of urbanity.

Cities must support the suburbs so that they can even exist. the counter is that the state must help support the city from taxes generated by the burbs. The burbs resent this, but never take note of the services that they use. Let alone the fact that the city core itself is the economic engine that created the entire lifestyle that these suburbanites depend on.

Unless of course everyone from Simsbury inherited their wealth.

Archived