2035 Triangle Regional Transit Vision Plan

ChiefJoJo

The LRT proposed route could be modified to continue on US 501 north to Durham Freeway. This route could then follow Durham Freeway to the proposed 9th station where it would connect to the current planned alignment.  This alignment would still allow you to serve Duke, help redevelop a blighted Hillsborough Road, and open up transfer options for the planned “West Durham” commuter rail stop.  Most importantly, it would reduce costs and potential conflicts. I believe this alignment would also create more opportunity for TOD. Along this alignment I can envision stops in the Morreene Road area, and the Fulton Street area. 

Duke could make amends by reviving its people mover and extending it to the Fulton Street station :tw_glasses:

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

The LRT proposed route could be modified to continue on US 501 north to Durham Freeway. This route could then follow Durham Freeway to the proposed 9th station where it would connect to the current planned alignment.  This alignment would still allow you to serve Duke, help redevelop a blighted Hillsborough Road, and open up transfer options for the planned “West Durham” commuter rail stop.  Most importantly, it would reduce cost and potential conflicts. I believe this alignment would also create more opportunity for TOD. Along this alignment I can envision stops in the Morreene Road area, and the Fulton Street area. 

Duke could make amends by reviving its people mover and extending it to the Fulton Street station :tw_glasses:

Yea, the only question is how will the ridership models change. Will bypassing Duke by a few hundred feet make the line unfundable? It all depends on some BS travel demand models that have been calibrated in other places.

I really hope they can make it work. I also really hope that the "University of Southern New Jersey" pays a big price for their misjudgements. But the DOLRT will still need to navigate some serious NCRR concerns in downtown Durham.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And the plug has been officially pulled on DOLRT: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/03/27/gotriangle-to-nix-durham-orange-light-rail-transit.html

I guess Duke is comfortable admitting that they are not as smart as the folks at John's Hopkins who have heavy rail in the basement of their hospital and research facility.

It's sad that it came to this, but I think GoTriangle absolutely made the right decision to put an end to this ever-escalating project instead of continue to patch things up.  At this point the line was hardly even worth it.  What disappoints me most is the impact this will have on land use plans at the planned station areas.  Durham was on track to build a fair amount of affordable housing along the light rail, and now who knows what might happen to those plans.

Whatever happens in the future regarding transit planning in the Durham-Orange region, it needs to be something fresh rather than trying to someday resurrect this project.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While not inherently regional, one thing that I think all of the Triangle cities could benefit from are separate bicycle lanes.  This past weekend, a temporary cycle track was installed along Harrington St in the Warehouse District.  While Raleigh has added bike lanes on a few streets such as Hillsborough, they ride right against the flow of traffic with nothing preventing the careless driver from wandering out of his lane and endanger cyclists, and given how wide many of the streets are throughout downtown, I think they can be added relatively easy to some of the lower-volume streets such as Harrington and Jones.  I think streets that carry lots of vehicular traffic such as Hillsborough and Glenwood should mostly be left alone, but adjacent roads should definitely be prioritized for bicycles.

E823B1B8-BE18-4B38-B3E3-30F915ADFEE5.jpg

AA2FDC06-39A3-43A9-BCB5-87641466D9DA.jpg

E823B1B8-BE18-4B38-B3E3-30F915ADFEE5.jpg

• Like 3

I know city staff get paid to do this, but it might e fun to try and sketch out a useful network of curb separated bike lanes and cycle tracks within the individual cities. Useful enough to get a bike to within easy walking distance of most of a downtown. Maybe we are so backed into a corner on this that we might could consider an elevated cycle path/track in places. There are a fair number of people biking around downtown Raleigh at all hours of the day now. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

^The Blue Line just gave local leaders the political cover to support denser development. South End was already ripe for urban infill, much like Brightleaf, Geer Street, 9th Street, or other areas of Durham closest to downtown. 

All growing cities are now realizing a densification of their urban core. Rail just provides a reliable option for mobility around the inevitable congestion resulting rom adding more and more people to a finite space.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Does it make sense to approach LRT so that the Triangle as a whole is connected? I don't know much about the area, but does it make more sense for Raleigh and Cary (Wake County) to have their own system? Likewise Durham/Chapel Hill perhaps?. Could the two systems connect via RDU?. 

I can't imagine if Charlotte, as a region, had tried to put rail transit together outside of Meck Co. to begin. 

Better to think more local. Then let things evolve.  Gaston County us now in the loop for LRT from Uptown-CLT-Mt.Holly

I'm sure Cabarrus and eventually Union Counties will be included as well. Not sure about York Co, as Rock Hill has just NOW began bus transit. Sad as York County is approaching a pop. of 300,000 people. 

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally they can get the southern loop extended to I-40. Amazing how long the environmentalists hemmed this up.

https://www.wral.com/lawsuit-settlement-clears-way-for-dot-to-finish-nc-540-loop/18585534/

Seems optimistic that they could finish this by 2023.    And then the last section from I-40 to I-87 won't start until 2027.

540.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...