Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

Regional branding efforts

60 posts in this topic

Ric Luber, the recently appointed president and CEO of the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports, and Tourism, is recommending that the city ditch the slogan "Where Friendliness Flows" for something more definitive for marketing purposes.

Hah, good :) That was the biggest waste of money. "A Capitol Place to Be" was much better. It could be worse though (Charlotte's got a lot.)

I swear, Colatown can sure blow some money on useless stuff. If the true goal of the slogan is to attract conventions, you have to target what they are looking for. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas," is an example of this.

I suggest, "Columbia: Cheap beer and drunk college girls!" 100 times better than "Where friendliness flows."

Shoot, I'll take just 30K for it, saving Colatown 40K.

"A Capital Place to Be" is about as generic as you can get. Fifty other cities can say the same thing.

I like "Where Friendliness Flows." But Luber has a goal, and if he thinks the city needs a more definitive slogan to help reach that goal, I say go for it.

Why don't we offer some of our own suggestions?

Columbia - Three Rivers run through it.

Under the wings of Columbia.

Slogans are overrated, esp. when they are changed every 3 or 4 years. I liked a Capital Place to Be, it was simple. I also think where Friendliness Flows is pretty good (Cola has 3 rivers and is know for being friendly). I think for the amt of $$$$ that was spent to come up with it, Columbia should embrace it for years to come.

I like "Where Friendliness Flows". It's catchy and describes the city pretty well.

Spartan, was the Charlotte slogan just created? I hope that's not the one they spent all that money on.

Yeah they did. IMO Charlotte wasted a a lot on that one. But whatever.

I came across these ideas at the link below. I found them quite amusing:

Just Like the South American Country, Only Not Spelled the Same

A College Town With a Capitol Problem

Where the Blowfish Blow and the Cocks Crow

City of Three Flags and Five Points

The Cesspool of the South

I Hear Charleston

For example, the "Virginia is for Lovers" is one that has been around a while, and people identify with it.

If "Columbia, the Capital of Easy Living" ain't it.....

I liked a Capital Place To Be. Where friendliness flows is a mess. that can be any place as well

If "Columbia, the Capital of Easy Living" ain't it.....

Here's one:

Columbia

South Carolina

the

Greenway Capital of Green Ways

That would be good if Columbia as a metro area would get on board with green development.

I've reached the conclusion that Columbia can't afford to worry about whether every provincial area "buys in" to a slogan. New York isn't called the Big Apple because of Newark.

I've reached the conclusion that Columbia can't afford to worry about whether every provincial area "buys in" to a slogan. New York isn't called the Big Apple because of Newark.

The Big Apple isn't a slogan, its a nickname. Columbia's is The Capital City, for better or for worse.

I'm not convinced that a slogan is necessary. Some cities cannot capture everything about them in one sentence, especially when it feels forced.

^I definitely agree. The cities that have effective slogans have them because they were easy to come up with due to some defining element about the city that sells it.

The town I grew up in was known as the "Bootlegging capital of the world" during prohibition. Maybe we could come up with something along those lines. :alc::fun:

Looks like the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports & Tourism is looking for input from the general public about the rebranding effort. Perhaps you guys should share your ideas.

Columbia, SC The Capital of the Green Tomorrow

The Capital of a Green Future