Regional branding efforts

krazeeboi

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear, Colatown can sure blow some money on useless stuff. If the true goal of the slogan is to attract conventions, you have to target what they are looking for. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas," is an example of this.

I suggest, "Columbia: Cheap beer and drunk college girls!" 100 times better than "Where friendliness flows."

Shoot, I'll take just 30K for it, saving Colatown 40K.

"A Capital Place to Be" is about as generic as you can get. Fifty other cities can say the same thing.

I like "Where Friendliness Flows." But Luber has a goal, and if he thinks the city needs a more definitive slogan to help reach that goal, I say go for it.

Slogans are overrated, esp. when they are changed every 3 or 4 years. I liked a Capital Place to Be, it was simple. I also think where Friendliness Flows is pretty good (Cola has 3 rivers and is know for being friendly). I think for the amt of $$$$ that was spent to come up with it, Columbia should embrace it for years to come.

Yeah they did. IMO Charlotte wasted a a lot on that one. But whatever.

I came across these ideas at the link below. I found them quite amusing:

Just Like the South American Country, Only Not Spelled the Same

A College Town With a Capitol Problem

Where the Blowfish Blow and the Cocks Crow

City of Three Flags and Five Points

The Cesspool of the South

I Hear Charleston

• 2 weeks later...

The Big Apple isn't a slogan, its a nickname. Columbia's is The Capital City, for better or for worse.

I'm not convinced that a slogan is necessary. Some cities cannot capture everything about them in one sentence, especially when it feels forced.

Archived