Regional branding efforts

krazeeboi

One meaning of "reeling" is "whirling." Another one is "drawing in" as in reeling in. A major fishing tackle company has just chosen Columbia as its headquarters.

We have so many life pleaures here and we're drawing in more all the time.

I've got it!

Columbia Riverbanks Region, Reeling in the Pleasures of Life

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it appears as though the Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports and Tourism is going to use something frequently mentioned about Columbia (often in a negative way) and turn it into a marketing effort: the heat. The message in a new, national advertising campaign targeted at meeting planners and tourists that will debut this week states that Columbia is "Famously Hot." The campaign also pegs Columbia and the Midlands as

I like it! There must be something about the heat. Dallas just got through two solid weeks of temperatures over 100 degrees, like 105 to 107 a couple of days, and their MSA gained more than any other MSA in the nation from 2006 to 2007.

IMO the Finlay Park angle of the skyline is too 2-D, the SCANA building being one dimension and the Capitol Center being the other. The shot they used is 3-D, SCANA, the Capitol Center and Meridian. I wish they had used a shot from the 9th Street Bridge over Jarvis Clapman Boulevard. It shows more buildings than any other shot.

I really dig the opening statement on the famouslyhot.com homepage. As the article said, there are so many wordplays you could do with the new slogan, which is a huge advantage. I really didn't expect a new slogan/branding effort so quick.

A huge regional waterpark needs to be next on the agenda, LOL.

I like it, too. I just wonder what will happen when a convention latches onto hot and they come here during the winter and it's 20 degrees, lol. I thought the music they used in the ad was catchy and would get someone's attention. $75,000 isn't a whole lot of budget, though. We have got to quit being so tight with money.

When they first announced that they were working on another branding campaign (AGAIN), I said that Columbia needs to just take one thing that they're well known for. We had a discussion at work about just what exactly Columbia IS known for.

Some said Fort Jackson. I love the fort's motto: Victory Starts Here. This could have been adaped to fit the city... "'Columbia: It Starts Here." "It" could mean anything... victory, hydrogen economy, etc.

As a native New Yorker, I said that the only thing I associate with Columbia is that it is God-awful hot. My recommendation was "Columbia: Its Hot!" Ric Luber ran the CVB in my hometown of Rochester, so I know he understands how freakin' hot this place is!

It looks like I was actually pretty close.

This is definitely better than "Where Friendliness Flows."

Now let's just hope that Greenville doesn't start its own campaign. "Beat the Heat. Visit Greenville."

When they first announced that they were working on another branding campaign (AGAIN), I said that Columbia needs to just take one thing that they're well known for. We had a discussion at work about just what exactly Columbia IS known for.

Some said Fort Jackson. I love the fort's motto: Victory Starts Here. This could have been adaped to fit the city... "'Columbia: It Starts Here." "It" could mean anything... victory, hydrogen economy, etc.

As a native New Yorker, I said that the only thing I associate with Columbia is that it is God-awful hot. My recommendation was "Columbia: Its Hot!" Ric Luber ran the CVB in my hometown of Rochester, so I know he understands how freakin' hot this place is!

It looks like I was actually pretty close.

This is definitely better than "Where Friendliness Flows."

Now let's just hope that Greenville doesn't start its own campaign. "Beat the Heat. Visit Greenville."

People who aren't from here aren't even going to think about the weather when they see the words "hot spot." Those words have their own meaning where cities are concerned. Every day this week the local weather report has had Greenville hotter than Columbia. And Charleston's heat index has consistently been higher than ours all summer. Summer is the slow season for conventions anyway.

One meaning of "reeling" is "whirling." Another one is "drawing in" as in reeling in. A major fishing tackle company has just chosen Columbia as its headquarters.

We have so many life pleaures here and we're drawing in more all the time.

I've got it!

Columbia Riverbanks Region, Reeling in the Pleasures of Life

Archived