Why does Urban Planet load so slowly anymore!

This site has gotten so slow to load in the past couple months. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9. YES, I have plenty of memory, and NO, I don't have too many programs running simultaneously. It doesn't matter whether I visit this site in Firefox or Camino; it's equally glacial. I find I have to disable my javascript in order to read posts without having to watch the beach ball spin interminably. (Mac users will know what I mean and are now snorting in solidarity.)

So what's happened with Urban Planet to cause this? Is it due to those damned little blue underscored "links" that appear unbidden and unwanted in my own and others' posts? Really, at this rate, I'll be rated a "Whistle-Stop" through the year 2015 if I can't get a little speed going here. Help, anyone?

Please respond to the skeleton which will be seated at my computer.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it is related to your internet connection. It runs very fast for me. I would recommend that you post this kind of stuff in the UrbanPlanet Help section rather in the Grand Rapids section since it really doesn't have anything to do with GR specifically.

Maybe it is related to your internet connection. It runs very fast for me. I would recommend that you post this kind of stuff in the UrbanPlanet Help section rather in the Grand Rapids section since it really doesn't have anything to do with GR specifically.

I've actually been having the same problem.. it isn't the internet connection, I experience it at home, the library, metro health, biggby's, and wherever else I go. The little loading bar constantly pops up for a few seconds, disappears, and is immediately replaced by another.. and this goes on for maybe a full minute on each page I load. I can remedy the problem by spamming the escape key on occasion, but due to my browsing style (open each thread in background then read through) it's difficult to do that when my whole browser acts sluggishly when browsing UP. Even switching tabs is a chore. I'll post my specs and copy it over into the help forum as well.

Toshiba Satellite AMD Turion Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, Windows Vista, Opera 9.26 with Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.6

I've actually been having the same problem.. it isn't the internet connection, I experience it at home, the library, metro health, biggby's, and wherever else I go. The little loading bar constantly pops up for a few seconds, disappears, and is immediately replaced by another.. and this goes on for maybe a full minute on each page I load. I can remedy the problem by spamming the escape key on occasion, but due to my browsing style (open each thread in background then read through) it's difficult to do that when my whole browser acts sluggishly when browsing UP. Even switching tabs is a chore. I'll post my specs and copy it over into the help forum as well.

Toshiba Satellite AMD Turion Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, Windows Vista, Opera 9.26 with Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.6

The only slowness I get is when a thread has a lots of oversized images posted in it. It's actually rather annoying because once they're all loaded a bit of Javascript runs to resize them which messes up my scroll position on the page. The double-underlined links are also extremely annoying, especially when I accidentally mouse over one.

Archived