Armchair Developer/Planner

atlrvr

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

The effort and time is impressive and commendable, but I'm not a fan of your massing models.  I reserve to right to circle back on that opinion when read the accompanying article :) 

What would you like to see different? Keep in mind street levels are pretty hard to do from a zoomed out point, and its not like I'm getting paid for the hours spent lol.

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What would you like to see different?

It uses every square inch of the boundaries, that could be what is bothering me about it.  The tower also to me looks too fat as well.  I live across the street in Trademark and if every day I had to look at a stubby disproportional tower it would drive me crazy and make me angry.  Maybe that one is a personal problem I need to work on though. LOL

16 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

It uses every square inch of the boundaries, that could be what is bothering me about it.  The tower also to me looks too fat as well.  I live across the street in Trademark and if every day I had to look at a stubby disproportional tower it would drive me crazy and make me angry.  Maybe that one is a personal problem I need to work on though. LOL

Most Office towers are pretty fat to have maximized leasable floor plates.
The building is shorter, as it'd be just about 300 feet, which is shorter than your building. 

I'd do 12 floors of residential, 17 of office on top of a 3 floor base dedicated to service based retail, plus a community center for the church. I'd want the Builders building to be refurbished to be shell space for coworking and/or small business incubator. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This Thread has inspired me to do an "Armchair Developer" series for Charlotte Five. I wanted to share my first project, which is reimagining the First Presby Lot uptown. This is the rendering I did to accompany the article. I know, I know, some of you would rather me do a rendering of future uptown... lol

BUILDING-R.jpg

Nice... re-imagining blocks Uptown one at a time is a pretty cool series.

Can a boy get some orientation on this rendering?

• 9 months later...

Mimage.thumb.png.98b95c92a25c24c8405bc094c1311025.png

Man. I wish I had $15-20M burning a hole in my pocket. I'd give these guys an offer they can't refuse. After that I'd tear out everything on the inside. Floors and all. Make it one floor height to the ceiling with Mezzanine Levels on both sides for small Latta Arcade style shops. On the bottom Floor I'd blow out the wall facing the railtrail and the parking lot and line this puppy with roll-up glass doors and a massive patio facing the parking lot. Restaurants and shops will line a central corridor that looks up through the mezzanine and into newly installed skylights and soaring industrial modern chandeliers.  Who has money for me?

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Man. I wish I had $15-20M burning a hole in my pocket. I'd give these guys an offer they can't refuse. After that I'd tear out everything on the inside. Floors and all. Make it one floor height to the ceiling with Mezzanine Levels on both sides for small Latta Arcade style shops. On the bottom Floor I'd blow out the wall facing the railtrail and the parking lot and line this puppy with roll-up glass doors and a massive patio facing the parking lot. Restaurants and shops will line a central corridor that looks up through the mezzanine and into newly installed skylights and soaring industrial modern chandeliers.  Who has money for me?

No money but I too have lusted after this building (love the Alamo-style front facade).  Your plan sounds great, I wouldn't change a thing.  I'm actually optimistic because the potential is so obvious it's just a matter of time before someone does what you are proposing.  

I would build a huge parking garage and charge ridiculous prices for everybody to use it. I don’t have any money either thank goodness

Railyard will luckily have a public deck after hours as will DFA :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the story behind that building? Is it an older owner that might sell in a few years? Does a developer own it and heard any whispers of what their plan might be? I remember a gun shop being in the back of that building my dad to me to a long time ago.  Maybe an antique shop too. 

Its a nice piece of property though

What is the story behind that building? Is it an older owner that might sell in a few years? Does a developer own it and heard any whispers of what their plan might be? I remember a gun shop being in the back of that building my dad to me to a long time ago.  Maybe an antique shop too. 
Its a nice piece of property though

Originally the Charlotte expo center and then later an A&P and then Miller Services which is a office furniture supply center. No plans to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ha just looked up who owns the building, actually a long time family friend, they own alot of commercial property around town, I dont think they really sell anything ever

Well I hope it gets refurbed into a commercial/retail use one day vs. knocked down and developed into residential. The cost of that land(2.34 acres) will be very expensive in a few years when DFA is done and Camden is built up. I’d hate it be a office furniture showroom when the time comes. If it was something the community used, and frequented, maybe it wouldn’t get knocked down one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd say it would make a great production cidery for Bold Rock :ph34r:

Archived