Armchair Developer/Planner

atlrvr

Houston did what these other cities have done several years ago, with decoratively painted cows though. I thought it was really bizarre, but I guess it did liven the place up a bit. Come to think of it I think they might still be there, so perhaps permanent.

Columbia did it as well with Palmetto trees. Seems to be a good idea as I still see them everywhere. Charlotte could do statues of Queens everywhere aka Queen City.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUILDIT....In regards to the Carolina Theatre. I would like to see an interactive sidewalk "path" leading from the front of the theatre to the Tryon street curb. The path would be about 4 feet wide, and would actually be synthetic bricks painted to blend in relatively well with the existing sidewalk. However, the bricks could be programmed to do different things, for instance, they could glow red to mimic a red carpet, individual bricks could light up when stepped on, the sound of applause could emminate from adjacent speakers when certain bricks are stepped on, etc...

It would be interactive art that could be programmed to coincide with events at the theatre, just provide fun, or be turned off completely and be relatively unnoticed.

Columbia did it as well with Palmetto trees. Seems to be a good idea as I still see them everywhere. Charlotte could do statues of Queens everywhere aka Queen City.

I know you probably meant royalty, but I love the imagery of Charlotte covered with drag queens

I don't think it could be queens. Charlotte was named after one queen in particular so introducing multiple statues of different queens could be confusing as to our heritage. There are two statues already (one at the airport and one on College Street) and they are ugly as crap.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see the major double two lane/oneway streets in and leading out of uptown converted to median separated bikeways.

That is to say:

South Blvd from where the Lynx leaves the median through Caldwell and out to Optimist Park,

Kenilworth/Stonewall from at least Midtown - but preferably from East - through uptown and out to Morehead,

11th through and into McDowell

I am not even THAT avid of a biker, but I see no need for 2 lanes of automobiles when we could have one and a lot better of a pedscape.

Kind of like this:

kent_bike_path.jpg

This cross section looks pretty, but it will not function properly due to the planted buffer. The problem with the planted buffer will occur at the intersections. If you placed the stop bar at the edge of the pedestrian path, the traveler will be sitting to far back from the travel lane for the adequate sight distance. If the stop bar is placed at the edge of the travel lane, the car will block the bicycle path.

I'm sure someone has mentioned it, but a Bryant Park style space uptown would be an awesome way to add a punch of color to the uptown landscape and get people out on weekends. Charlotte is so concerned with elevations. Even among the impressive skyline of the Big Apple, can anyone argue that the most unique space in NYC is the oasis that is Central Park?

I'm sure someone has mentioned it, but a Bryant Park style space uptown would be an awesome way to add a punch of color to the uptown landscape and get people out on weekends. Charlotte is so concerned with elevations. Even among the impressive skyline of the Big Apple, can anyone argue that the most unique space in NYC is the oasis that is Central Park?

You couldn't be more right about both Central Park and Bryant Park. Bryant park is my favorite Manhattan park, even more so than central park, which is a pretty hard thing to say. I would love for Charlotte to have something like this. I wish charlotte in general could be half as mature the city NYC is. However, if you want my honest opinion, prospect park is the best park in NYC, its untamed, and is the closest thing to true wilderness in NYC, you can actually forget you are in a metro of 22 million people.

Charlotte has lots of parks where you can forget you are in a metro of 22M ;)

It needs parks that make you feel like you are in a metro of 2M :)

I think 3rd Ward park will do this relatively well, and Bryant Park was often referenced as a model to try an immulate. I think it is a bit over programmed, whereas Bryant Park is much more relaxed and "soft space".

I've pitched my grand "Central Park" vision on here multiple times, but so far, the politcal powers that be haven't run with my vision yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the city is ostensibly trying to encourage more connectivity and street interaction they should ban walled subdivisions inside city limits. The problem seems particularly acute along Providence between Wendover and Fairview. The people buying these McMansions must like the walls because it makes them feel superior and exclusive and gives a false sense of security. But having high brick walls defining major arteries does not encourage walkability and urban progress.

• 2 months later...

I like this idea... I'd like to see just a minimum amount of surface lots if any at all. Until we rid ourselves of these lots, people still have incentive to want to drive downtown. I think it's key to adding more pedestrian traffic and the light rail extensions. We still have a ways to go though.

We are starting to see surface lots removed little by little. I've only lived uptown for a few years and have already seen three full blocks and many half blocks of surface lots get ripped up to make room for buildings and/or parking garages. So it's coming. Yet, there is surely a lonnnng way to go in 1st Ward & 3rd Ward. But if UNCC ever moves forward with their plans, 1st Ward will be completely changed.

My wish: I'd love to see the city somehow, through one heck of a miracle, find a way to move the rail line that disects through the city. It completely splits uptown. And yes, I know that it supports the mill up by Brookshire and that moving it would completely cancel out Gateway Station, but perhaps something could be done to at least remove freight lines out of the area, such as build another line that parallels I-77 and wraps around and ties into the line already at the top of Elmwood Cemetery beside Brookshire. I understand that it's practically unfeasible to do such a major undertaking - again, it's just a wish. I believe that it just isolates that land and hinders any kind of growth to the west of uptown. That's why you see all of the changes being made to the south and east ends, and beyond I-277 in South End and Elizabeth.

I'd also love to see some type of permanent music venue placed uptown. Nothing huge like Verizon, just some sort of outdoor venue, like the amphitheatre in SouthPark. Instead of erecting stages all over the city whenever events happen uptown, like in Dixie's parking lot or at Trade & Tryon (which is trashy in my opinion), having something permanent but convenient would be nice. 3rd Ward would be a nice place, especially since the ballpark doesn't seem to be a go anymore.

My wish: I'd love to see the city somehow, through one heck of a miracle, find a way to move the rail line that disects through the city. It completely splits uptown...

I don't think it splits it all that much, nothing like what is implied by the "on the other side of the tracks" coloquialism to describe the nagative effects tracks have. Here are a few examples from other forumers here that to me show that it's affect in this regard is minimal (at least in uptown which is I believe what you were referring to):

Twoaday's

1753398214_07e95a3ffb.jpg

1753394306_1b2cd3c1e6.jpg

RiverwoodCLT's

P2181529.jpg

InitialD's

2857777542_087fa4e54d.jpg

2877214090_e382e944a1.jpg

Mobuchu has an album dedicated to LYNX on his site.

Nowesone, I think he was referring to the heavy rail that parallels the west side of Graham St.

My wish: I'd love to see the city somehow, through one heck of a miracle, find a way to move the rail line that disects through the city. It completely splits uptown....

I'd also love to see some type of permanent music venue placed uptown. Nothing huge like Verizon, just some sort of outdoor venue, like the amphitheatre in SouthPark....3rd Ward would be a nice place, especially since the ballpark doesn't seem to be a go anymore.

I agree that it would be a miracle. I have suggested before that the entire freight yards just north of Uptown be relocated to near the airport adjacent to the planned multi-modal terminal. The problem is, that the NS line would need to be built parallel to the CSX line out there and a new line built to take it back down south towards Columbia. I would love for that to happen!

As far as the Amtrak/commuter line. I support it staying, but we should look to European cities and follow their model of utilizing the underpass space as retail/public markets. 4th, Trade, 5th and 6th, should all have retail stalls underneath the bridges, to help tie the city back together. I do think its important to keep passenger rail located in the center city as it supports alternative transportation use and would like to other forms of transit.

As far as your wish for a smaller music venue, I believe 3rd Ward park will include something to that effect. Sort of like a super-mini aphitheatre, with seating for maybe 200 or so.

As far as your wish for a smaller music venue, I believe 3rd Ward park will include something to that effect. Sort of like a super-mini aphitheatre, with seating for maybe 200 or so.

Not to mention we are getting two or three outdoor venues at the NCMF ranging from 250-a couple thousand capacity. Its just too bad it will be extremely isolated from the rest of downtown.

Nowesone, I think he was referring to the heavy rail that parallels the west side of Graham St.

I agree that it would be a miracle. I have suggested before that the entire freight yards just north of Uptown be relocated to near the airport adjacent to the planned multi-modal terminal. The problem is, that the NS line would need to be built parallel to the CSX line out there and a new line built to take it back down south towards Columbia. I would love for that to happen!

As far as the Amtrak/commuter line. I support it staying, but we should look to European cities and follow their model of utilizing the underpass space as retail/public markets. 4th, Trade, 5th and 6th, should all have retail stalls underneath the bridges, to help tie the city back together. I do think its important to keep passenger rail located in the center city as it supports alternative transportation use and would like to other forms of transit.

Yes, I was referring to the track that parallels Graham St. If you drive down into the 3rd ward on the other side of the tracks, it's different. It's completely isolated. Yes, there are some new condo buildings and some of the projects over there are hopefully going to revamp that area, but the tracks sure hinder its uptown feel.

To comment on retail stalls, boy that's a wish. I agree with you, that'd be nice, but you'll never see that happen until uptown becomes really dense.

As far as moving the freight yard, I had heard that was going to happen after the airport expansion. Guess things change.

And to nibletodell, I thought the NCMF project was canceled? You're right, it is surely isolated out there. However, the outdoor amphitheaters would boast a good unobstructed view of uptown.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to throw out a concept here, and I would like everyone's opinion on how it would work, where it would work, and whether it would be worthwhile for the cost etc.:

A normal "suburban style" stripmall - especially the kind that we have spanning commercial street corners in Charlotte could be turned into a shopping plaza (square) with nothing more than a reconfiguration of parking and a readdressment of the ingress and egress from the street. I'm going to use Cotswold Mall (at the corner of Sharron Amity and Randolph Rd. as an example). If the parking lot were to be moved to the back of the site as a parking deck - or even better to be moved underground in it's current position - that parking lot could then be redone with terraced pavers, benches, whatever. What happens next is that the act of "strolling" through a shopping "district" becomes more of an activity, and shoppers begin to discover store fronts that they would have just passed by in their cars of the way out of their usual destination (Mamu Fu!). The place becomes a destination for hours, instead of minutes.

So you go from this:

To this: Pioneer%20Square.jpg

With no major structural construction or major disruption to the business.

I think this is what needs to happen in University. And also at Eastway. You can't rebuild the intersection of Harris and Tryon (the Prominade) but you can make it address the intersection better.

Very cool Escapists. Certainly the reconfiguration of many surface lots in and around Charlotte could do wonders to changing the pedestrian activity and urbanization of areas. The main problem with the intersection of Harris and Tryon and why it deters developments like The Promenade to interact with the street and other corners of that intersection is because this is the busiest intersection in Charlotte per number of cars that pass through. That doesn't mean it can't be done. I think changing the areas around the University (Tryon, Univ City Blvd, Harris) to 35 mph and possibly put the roads on a diet some would encourage drivers to not use such roads as an alternative to 85- which is what's meant to carry much of this traffic. It would also encourage safer pedestrian activity. Right now, I've seen it, it's almost impossible for pedestriants to walk across this intersection- ped's have to usually run across and can only make it to the halfway median. I know there are many that would utilize this intersection as pedestrian if it were just designed better (Univ Students, Hospital Patrons that need to get prescriptions at the Walgreens across the street, etc). I think the work that comes with the NE Line should address these concerns though. Back to the post by Escapists. I don't think the problem with the Promenade is the surface lot (as it is rather small and the majority of parking is appropriately in the back including 2 parking garages). The problem exists as there isn't any sidewalks or a decent way of walking into the development if one can even make it across the intersection. Now the corner diagonal from this development where the Hilton Hotel is could use much need TLC in order to encourage pedestrian activity and better interaction with the street.

I think what you've just described is not unlike the "Lifestyle Malls" that have become trendy in the past decade. And, to be quite frank (and a little cliche), I think its just a lipstick-pig approach. It would be more aesthetically pleasing for people sitting at the street intersection, but it's still a suburban mall.

Edit:

This is a workable approach to disintegrating these kinds of shopping centers back into the neighborhood grid - http://books.google.com/books?id=3RBZdoshu...esult&hl=en (god bless Google). Eastgate Mall currently lies somewhere near "phase 2" in that diagram series, where part of the mall has been converted into office space and some of the parking lots on the north end have been built out. I'm not sure if it will ever make it as far as "phase 3," but its a far more useful asset now than it was before.

In a broader sense I think this touches on a major missing piece to a successful urban fabric in Charlotte. We don't have a large central square or walkable district with storefront retail and cafes to wander around. There are small hints in in our older urban neighborhoods but nothing substantial. In the vein of Portland or Austin, similar sized cities to us . I would love that.

In a broader sense I think this touches on a major missing piece to a sucessful urban fabric in Charlotte. We don't have a large central square or walkable district with storefront retail and cafes to wander around. There are small hints in in our older urban neighborhoods but nothing substantial. In the vein of Portland or Austin, similar sized cities to us . I would love that.

That was a concept/concern that was brought up at a previous CCCP Urban Parks meeting, so it's certainly not being ignored. Since the Parks budget passed in the election, maybe we will be able to see this happen in the next 5 years.

• 3 months later...

So now that we're in a new economic space, maybe think this through again in a less-expensive, sustainable way that serves people right now?

How about:

A somewhat-renovated building in a place that's halfway safe for individual workers to arrive and leave after dark.

Fast wireless Internet.

Co-working space and facilities like printers, bookshelves and reference books, electrical plugs, decent work desks and chairs and meeting rooms. Plus a large space for periodic bigger groups.

A cool vibe like you find in the McColl Center or the old old Spirit Square, or in some of the Noda places.

Proximity to or built around a coffee/lunch/winebar, essentially a food and drink space that changes as the day changes, useful all day long. Menu does not have to be large.

Would echo someone's post from last year that said, "I would also set aside some of the retail for entrepreneurs and have rent based on a sliding scale to promote and eclectic mix of retail."

Do it. Now. As an incubator. Use a space that will likely get torn down and rebuilt when the economy improves, or get some partnership grants with community development people to provide cheap rent for the new entrepreneurs?

I know some spaces in Noda offer things like this. I'd want a space that feels safer than some of those for solo workers. The church at Hawthorne and Central? Anything else near Plaza-Midwood or along Elizabeth Ave?

Archived