Spectrum Downtown Fire

numstead

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initial reports are saying the chopper took off, took a violent turn (possibly could've been caught in a gust?), and then the propellers starting hitting towers on the top of the building, spun around, propellers hit the side of the building...and then crashed on the pad.

WGVU radio just reported that there were two people on board, the other being an FAA official. Chopper was doing "tests." No fatalities.

And another reminder that it would be a Good Idea to patronize someplace else for your current ER needs.

WOOD TV proves yet again that their web server isn't up to more than about 10 people at once trying to use their site :rolleyes: I remember it being almost impossible to view the live feed of the Eastown explosion too because of the sudden increase in traffic.

From the Press:

Updated 11:42 a.m.

There were no patients on board the helicopter, which was taking off at the time of the crash, a hospital spokesman said. The spokesman was still trying to determine how many crew members were on board or where the helicopter was headed.

Crews on the hospital roof told a dispatcher the helicopter's pilot was on the roof and crews requested a backboard and neck brace for the pilot.

Spectrum's downtown emergency is closed and was expected remain closed for hours "if not days," police Lt. Ralph Mason said during a news conference. ... Mason said any one who needs emergency services should not come to Butterworth for the time being.

i went up to bellnap hill. Chopper 8 was flying around. I over heard someone who was on a radio, say to her friend that they were told to leave the airspace. By the time i got up there the fire was out. All i could see was the blacknded tower. i saw 2 black Lincolns with flashing lights on the dash speed down the highway there. my first thought was some minor terrorist attack and and the cars may have been homeland security. maybe, you have to rule out everything.

It's not like the copter was shot down by terrorists. a second copter has no more increased chance of crashing than it would covering any other news story. helicopters are generally used to transport patients to tertiary care centers. if a copter crashes just outside of spectrum downtown they wont need a helicopter because they are already at the highest level you can get.

I wouldn't be surprised if Homeland Security was out there. When it first goes down not everybody knows exactly what happened. I just know when I went to crescent park there were police EVERYWHERE, all in groups of 2 or more.

I also know I saw smoke from 54th & Division area during my pedicab training. I had no idea that was coming from downtown until the bus driver said something about there having been a fire earlier, and the buses were all on detour.

While my shots were taken after the fire was put out, and certainly don't compare to crinzema's awesome shot, here is one I took from the Monroe North area.

2533647155_0e7eecdb72_b.jpg

So if anyone who can't see it for themselves this shows the burn mark left. The picture is grainy because I used 12x digital zoom on my little point and shoot camera.

Archived