Arcade Evacuation

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I am also glad you brought up the subject. I find it really sad that there wasn't an effort by the Providence Foundation or the City to become envolved on the businesses that were being displaced behalf. Some reasonable and fare negotiations should have been looked into. Even as a gesture of "gee thanks for the 25 years you paid me rent kind of thing".... As I read it in the paper ......no one had any idea this was going to happen so soon...but...I bet cha they did know!!!......

I am also glad you brought up the subject. I find it really sad that there wasn't an effort by the Providence Foundation or the City to become envolved on the businesses that were being displaced behalf. Some reasonable and fare negotiations should have been looked into. Even as a gesture of "gee thanks for the 25 years you paid me rent kind of thing".... As I read it in the paper ......no one had any idea this was going to happen so soon...but...I bet cha they did know!!!......

If you mean "no one" meaning the Granoff gang, oh yea, they've known for quite a while.

If you mean "no one" meaning the tenants, NO, no one knew!

For the three Granoff has owned it not once did he communicate with the tenants. Renovations were rumored but all assumed they'd happen around them. He then gives 30 days for all to get out; nice guy.

I visited today to get a dose of Providence Cookies (yum). The cookie ladies said that the tenants are working together to stay a little longer at least. Jeez, Providence Cookie has been there for 28 years! Arcade was hopping on the first floor. Pay a visit and check out the historic photos on all 3 floors.

I visited today to get a dose of Providence Cookies (yum). The cookie ladies said that the tenants are working together to stay a little longer at least. Jeez, Providence Cookie has been there for 28 years! Arcade was hopping on the first floor. Pay a visit and check out the historic photos on all 3 floors.

Alas, our city seems to let developers run rampant and do whatever they want, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Powers That Be grabbed their ankles and let someone tear down the Arcade. Especially once it's damaged during the "renovations."

Of course, if I want to replace a window on my house I have to go through five diferent bureaucrats ....

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.projo.com/ri/providence/content...10.42cfe64.html

Love the last line, with Granoff complaining that they've been losing money on the Arcade since buying it. I continue to be disappointed and highly suspicious of all of this. What single entity would want the arcade? It makes no sense the way it is set up for a retailer. I'm going to guess maybe office space? If it ceases to become the original indoor shopping mall, then what's the point? Why isn't anyone from the city, or PPS, or State Historic Preservation office getting involved in this at all?

Archived