Arcade Evacuation

So let me understand this. We have no plans to do anything with this property as we don't have anyone who wants it but we decided to throw everyone out and board it up.

Also, For 107 years it has operated with small shops, oh that hasn't proved successful. Um, I think 107 years is somewhat of a success. Maybe if there was a reason for people to be in that area of downtown after 5 there might have been some business.

How come I see this property sitting empty for a couple of years neglected along with the property next door and then a flashback to the fruit and produce warehouse about public safety and drumroll...parking for the Hampton Inn

I just have a bad feeling about this whole thing, especially with an historic building such as this. I didn't really care about the Fruit and Produce but this building has some real historic roots and is a pretty building too.

Sad, sad day

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see what the Granoffs can come up with before we lose our heads. there was a plan in place which right now is on hold. It doesn't make any sense to turn this into a parking lot. the backlash would not be worth a few more parking spaces or a larger foot print for the 110 Westminster Condo's.

Since the Arcade is down the street from the RISD campus and one of the oldest and most significant archtectural buildings downtown they should buy it and turn it into an art gallery/restaurant/bar.

The only faith I have is that the economy is so bad there isnt money to demolish it. The idea of taking a historic in use building and vacating it with no plan in sight is just insane. I say give it 5 years to decay and then they will tear it down so vagrants wont get hurt squatting in it. Or maybe to build surface parking for the W that doesnt exist.

^Why the city needs to tax vacant/surface parking lots according to their potential. Make it unprofitable to tear down for surface parking.

It's a shame to see Providence, which survived the midcentury "pave downtown for the automobile" days of urban renewal relatively unscathed, repeating the mistakes of so many other American cities. We should know better.

^Why the city needs to tax vacant/surface parking lots according to their potential. Make it unprofitable to tear down for surface parking.

It's a shame to see Providence, which survived the midcentury "pave downtown for the automobile" days of urban renewal relatively unscathed, repeating the mistakes of so many other American cities. We should know better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Overheard today, A representative from THE HUB will be in Providence soon to look at The Arcade as a potential Space. If you are not familiar with THE HUB, this is an excerpt from the Bay Area Hub website.

"The Hub is a coworking space, event series, and professional toolset for changemakers!

During the day, The Hub is a dynamic, collision-rich workspace designed by its Members and the wisdom gleaned from Hub communities throughout the world. Social innovators in the Bay Area are leaving their sterile offices, noisy cafes, and isolated living rooms to work alongside diverse peers in a professionally hosted environment. They choose The Hub because it’s where they find the access, tools, community, and inspiration they need to transform their ideas into action.

At night, The Hub transforms into an event platform for member driven

collaborations, lectures, screenings, innovation labs, and some of the most compelling and imaginative minds from around the world."

The Hub sounds awesome and would be great to have in Providence, but the Arcade needs to be open to the public with retail in it. If The Hub can utilize the 2nd and 3rd levels and bring retail back to the ground level, I'm all for it. If the whole building is all The Hub top to bottom, then I don't like it.

The Hub sounds awesome and would be great to have in Providence, but the Arcade needs to be open to the public with retail in it. If The Hub can utilize the 2nd and 3rd levels and bring retail back to the ground level, I'm all for it. If the whole building is all The Hub top to bottom, then I don't like it.

That is a great idea, rather than support an international group that may save one of the most important buildings downtown and actually bring some recognition to Providence as being first in something good for a change; Let's let the building languish and await its turn with the wrecking ball because it should have a sandwich shop on the first floor.

The Arcade was always built as a place for local vendors to sell products. So it should remain as a retail location, open to the public. If a private company wants to lease the upper floor as some kind of business incubator then fine.

But the lower two floors should be used by local merchants selling locally grown or created in RI products.

Having said that if a new out of town developer came forward and said I like that vacant lot where the 110 was going to be built and I would like to revise that project but I need to take the Arcade would anyone vote in favor of it?

The Arcade was always built as a place for local vendors to sell products. So it should remain as a retail location, open to the public. If a private company wants to lease the upper floor as some kind of business incubator then fine.

But the lower two floors should be used by local merchants selling locally grown or created in RI products.

Having said that if a new out of town developer came forward and said I like that vacant lot where the 110 was going to be built and I would like to revise that project but I need to take the Arcade would anyone vote in favor of it?

Now that is flawed logic, but if that is the way things should be than a task force needs to be established to eliminate all of the residential downtown, destroy the new RISD library that is in a former bank building; for that matter most of RISD's buildings need to be returned to warehouse and manufacturing uses, there will also be a reconversion to manufacturing at all of the mills that have been converted office and residential uses.......

There you go again, taking something someone said and running off to a conclusion that seems a leap.

There is nothing flawed about the logic of the Arcade remaining with it's purpose built use. It does not require the massive leap you took to see why it makes sense for the Arcade to remain a retail building, at least on the first floor.

It is a national treasure and anything that reduces the public's access to it, is a threat.

Let me throw your leap back at you... Should it be OK to turn the State House or City Hall into private offices or condos? I mean as long as the buildings aren't torn down, the use doesn't matter at all does it?

• 2 weeks later...

The Arcade is a local landmark as is the State House, City Hall, Propect Park, the Biltmore, Etc.

Landmarks give identity to a city and should be preserved for future generations to admire.

But if a change to the function of the landmark has to be made in order to save the building, than I vote to save the building.

You are right that there have been many examples of local landmarks that now have different uses. Maybe we need to keep an open mind when exploring the future of the Arcade.

Archived