Dillard's leaving Hickory Hollow Mall

Justiceham

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think CBL I think it is that owns the mall will look very hard into dumping this place. They also own Cool Springs and Rivergate. They have always marketed all of these malls as one in commercials. I tend to agree that the mall will eventually go down the tubes further than it is now, but I dont think it will happen next year. The Demographics have dramatically changed in this area since I moved here in '95. That will affect what happens to the mall.

They could always tear it down and build a Wal-Mart. :sick:

Is the Sears still at the mall?

Yes, I think Sears is still open there, but I had forgotten about that one. (I have not been to H.H. Mall since 2005.)

You know, a Wal-Mart and a Sam's Club would probably be a match for the demographics of that area.

There is already a Wal Mart Supercenter practically behind the mall on Murfreesboro Road and Old Hickory Blvd. and a Sams on Harding Place.

With J.C. Penny already gone, Dillard's has announced it will be closing its store in August. Without major anchors, what will happen to the mall?

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=8403528

I'll admit that employees at the Dillard's stores at Green Hills and Cool Springs have recently told me about this closing in recent weeks before this official announcement. Most recently, the Hickory Hollow Dillard's has not been getting any new merchandise; it's been receiving clearance merchandise from the area's other stores.

I would not be surprised if Hickory Hollow Mall's days might be numbered. I've lived in Nashville since Nov. 2005. Since then, there have been numerous incidents at the mall that have been in the news. I'll admit I won't go there because I don't feel safe.

Just heard on news 4 that Linens n' Things will be closing as well at the end of summer.

Linens 'n Things is closing this location as part of its Chapter 11 bankruptcy announced a few weeks ago; about 120 underperforming stores are closing. I figured that this one would be closing before I viewed the store closing list because I had the idea Hickory Hollow Mall was hurting.

I've actually questioned for some months before being told prior to the official announcement that Dillard's would likely pull out of Hickory Hollow Mall due to what has become of the mall.

After watching Channel 4 News and seeing the story about Dillard's closing at Hickory Hollow, I can't think of any likely merchants that would want to move into that location if the company considers subleasing the building or if CBL buys the building. I'm pretty certain that Hickory Hollow Mall is among the poorest performing malls within the CBL portfolio.

I think a lot of the problem with Antioch is that it doesn't get a lot of attention from the metro government and the police. I live in Green Hills, but know a lot of very successful people that live in Antioch i.e., doctors, lawyers, pharmacist, engineers, etc.

As far as the mall goes, I think the mall management should have gotten a hold on the crime when it first started. I blame them for letting the reputation get to where it is today. They should have hired more security and altered their marketing strategy. Also, the mall doesn't keep up the landscaping and appearance like it use too, which also has an impact. If they didn't want the thugs hanging in the mall, then they should have been more selective in the merchandise they allowed to be sold, which would have controlled the clientele to some degree. The bottom line is, the mall is failing because of poor management and marketing and not the demographics in the area.

I think some of this started years ago. When Morrison Cafeteria was there, CBL said they were going up on the rent. Morrison's said if they did that they would move out. I think CBL thought it was a bluff, but several tractor trailers were there the next day and all of the employees were sent home. Since then, just about all of the Morrison's have closed and almost all of the Ruby Tuesdays went to free standing stores as they were owned by the same company.

I really believe some of this has been brought on by greedy mall management companies and of course changing demographics. Not one new mall started construction last year for the first time in like 30 years.

I think the days of malls are going to be numbered, with the exception of a few in much wealthier areas, where they can charge an arm or a leg for rent.

:offtopic: a little:

As for me, I dont even go to malls anymore if I can help it. I think I may have gone twice in the last year. Once to Green Hills to see the stores I cant afford to buy anything in and to Opry Mills to go to Bass Pro and still didn't buy anything. As a matter of fact I rarely go to a movie any more because of the price. That is another industry that better clean up their act. I went today for the first time in a year and the price was $16 for two and $17 for 2 drinks and a popcorn. Guess I will wait for the DVDs from now on which is as cheap as a movie and refreshments.

I guess I shut up now. :alc: I think I will have a beer. Sorry for the rant.

well i started talking about this and typed up a page-long novel, so i deleted it. basically the mall is one giant misconception. cbl has to do a massive p.r. campaign to save it. whether they are willing to or not, i'm not sure. it makes me sad to see the mall like this. i remember going to it as a child. it was south nashville's big mall until cool springs was built. i have many memories there, santa and the easter bunny and whatnot. i also met my girlfriend while working at electronic express a few years back (she was across the hall at the customer service desk). have i been guilty of bashing hickory hollow mall? yes, but now that i think about it, i would sincerely miss that place. i do have a lot of fond memories. let's hope it succeeds and not just set it aside as some piece of trash not worth saving.

A lot of the failures that we see in malls is happening because of the reduction of anchors as well as the number of available stores inside the mall. HHM would probably not be in the shape it is in today if the original anchors (Cain-Sloan and Castner Knott) were still around. instead, we've had a parade of ho-hum retailers take their places: Dillard's, Proffitt's, Hecht's and Macy's. Each one of these changes has sent the customer-base of the previous store away.

Demographics do play a small role as well.

The same thing has happened/is happening all over the Country.

This mall will hang on for a few more years. Probably get a Burlington Coat Factory in were Dillards is. I watched a mall in Charlotte go thru the same thing. Once a very nice mall, reputation goes down hill as demographics of area change. Stores leave, surronding area shopping centers sit empty. Now the city is trying to figure out how to revitalize the area. I think HHM and the surrounding area will continue to decline. It will take years of effort to reverse what is happening there, if it can be reversed. Very sad.

A lot of the failures that we see in malls is happening because of the reduction of anchors as well as the number of available stores inside the mall. HHM would probably not be in the shape it is in today if the original anchors (Cain-Sloan and Castner Knott) were still around. instead, we've had a parade of ho-hum retailers take their places: Dillard's, Proffitt's, Hecht's and Macy's. Each one of these changes has sent the customer-base of the previous store away.

Demographics do play a small role as well.

The same thing has happened/is happening all over the Country.

Actually, Caster Knott is still around - you just know them better as Macy's. Same with Proffitt's and Hecht's.

Mall stores reflect the communities and demographics that surround them and I think the present demographics play a larger part than is realized.

Overall this is an all around the block issue. I've never been a fan of CBL properties and I think they probably share some of the blame from a marketing standpoint, but there's only so much they can do to force retailers to stay or open in the mall.

The present mix of stores is uninspiring for a shopper to travel to the mall, but the one issue twined with the demographics issue, is that many of the stores that would/could work in HHM either are no longer relevant from a retail perspective or are doing poorly with the current economic downturn. Stores like music, bookstores, video games, etc., always popular in these types of malls, are all undercut by the internet or big box retailers, the mall cannot subsist solely on sales from American eagle or hot topic, nor the independent stores that have lower revenues and probably a lower negotiated lease rate to keep the mall filled. I wouldn't be surprised if HHM has one of the lowest dollar revenues based on sales sq ft, etc., in the city.

HHM's story isn't that dissimilar from Bellevue Center, once the doyenne of regional shopping in the area, the demographics and stores shifted when Cool Springs opened, though BC was a combination of that and the revitalization of Green Hills, which is why I think HHM's downturn has taken longer to play out.

I too remember going there as a young kid and thinking how cool it was in the early 80's, HHM doesn't have to be lost, but CBL needs to make a long term plan that serves both the community and the retailers, it's my hope that they don't punt and sell it off and it gets turned into the next 100 oaks or Harding mall.......

HHM would probably not be in the shape it is in today if the original anchors (Cain-Sloan and Castner Knott) were still around. instead, we've had a parade of ho-hum retailers take their places: Dillard's, Proffitt's, Hecht's and Macy's. Each one of these changes has sent the customer-base of the previous store away.

i wouldn't call any of those retailers ho-hum. they are some of the largest retailers in the country. not to mention cain-sloan and castner knott aren't even around these days. and if that were the case, they seem to be doing alright in other areas.

nashcan, i do agree that crime has risen in those two zipcodes, but i believe that these reports on crime stats are really what have hurt these neighborhoods. the media seems to always portray these areas as high crime zipcodes, causing many to leave and cause new residents to search elsewhere. if the media would start showing the good things that happen in these areas (they actually do happen), maybe people would start taking pride in these better than what's marketed areas. i lived in 37211 from 2 years old to my early 20s, now i'm back. so far it has been nothing but peace and quiet. perception without truth is ignorance. (i'm definitely not calling anyone on this board ignorant, simply describing what the media has done to these areas. )

The Antioch crime deal is so completely overblown to me. Is it more crime ridden than it used to be, absolutely. But I have never for a second felt endangered in HHM. Some of you all wouldn't even leave your house in New York City the way you talk. I grew up in that neighborhood and Davidson County did the area a disservice 20 years ago when they allowed developers to build apartment alley down the Bell Road corridor and doubled the fun when Section 8 displacements were sent off of Hamilton Church Road.

The Apartment renters are shorttimers that retailers can't count on long-term and the Section 8 folks don't have Macy's or Dillard's disposable income. That combination creates shopping mall flatlines. The Antioch-Cane Ridge area has so much unrealized potential, but something is going to have to be done quickly.

Thought this was interesting:

This is the result of a poll done on Channel 5 today regarding where people shop. Guess who is in last place.

NewsChannel 5 Poll

Where do you prefer to do most of your shopping?

Cool Springs 21%

Providence 12%

The Avenue (Murfreesboro) 9%

Rivergate 13%

Hickory Hollow 3%

The Mall at Green Hills 8%

Opry Mills Mall 13%

Stones River Mall 4%

Other 17%

• 1 month later...

I took a self defense class a couple of weeks ago taught by a Metro Cop who stated that the decrease in this area was due to the increase in population following Hurricane Katrina. He named the top 3 apartment complexes that were used to house the residents that moved here temporarily for shelter. I was actually very surprised that the new residents were blamed for an area that has been decreasing in quality and value for some time now.

Archived