Dillard's leaving Hickory Hollow Mall

Justiceham

I was just thinking that in addition to Dillards and LNT leaving, Steve & Barry's has also filed for bankruptcy and plans to shut down 43 some locations. That leaves only Sears and Macy's on 2/4 wings. I don't think this mall can survive with just two main tenants.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is Hickory Hollow Mall's opportunity to redo itself and add stores that will surpass Green Hills Mall with stores like Hugo Boss, Armani, Gucci, Prada, The Shop, Bergdorf Goodman, Vera Wang, Versace, The Horchow furniture Collection, Giati, Fendi, Dolce & Gabbana, Crate and Barrel, Clive Christian, Barneys New York, Brunschwig & Fils, Ebanista, Roche-Bobois, and Sephora.

^ Bellevue Center developer Foresquare Properties as been saying for months that they have some major tennants lined up that they cannot yet name. Wanna bet some of those stores you mentioned are on the hook for Bellevue? After all, the usuals like Old Navy, Target, World Market and Best Buy are just down the road at Nashville West, so whose left?

Of couse, there's still lots of space at Nashville West, too. Outparcels are almost finished being developed, but the retail-on-parking-garage portion of the main "L" is still a hole and they don't seem to be in much of a hurry to finish.

This is Hickory Hollow Mall's opportunity to redo itself and add stores that will surpass Green Hills Mall with stores like Hugo Boss, Armani, Gucci, Prada, The Shop, Bergdorf Goodman, Vera Wang, Versace, The Horchow furniture Collection, Giati, Fendi, Dolce & Gabbana, Crate and Barrel, Clive Christian, Barneys New York, Brunschwig & Fils, Ebanista, Roche-Bobois, and Sephora.

somehow i don't think the demographics of the area would facilitate those kinds of stores. would be great to see, but doubtful. remember, green hills has belle meade and cool springs has franklin and brentwood. hickory hollow has antioch (not saying that antioch is bad, just not as financially blessed as those other places i named).

I'm sure you're probably just joking, but if not....good luck getting those store's clientelle out of 37205/37215. The majority of them probably don't even know how to get to 013.

I live in Green Hills and if HHM got those stores, you couldn't keep me out of there and I'm sure other people would feel the same.

It's kind of funny to me when people talk about the clientele in 37205/37215 zip codes. There are some well to do people in these areas, but the home prices in these zip codes are considered on the low end compared to Manhattan. When I moved here, I couldn't believe how cheap the homes were and all the space you get for the prices.

you can't really compare nashville to new york city. it's well....big apples to big oranges (you see what i did there with the pun....big apple against big orange....anyone? bueller? :whistling: ) the drive alone from traffic riddled green hills to traffic riddled hickory hollow would be enough to turn most people away.

You must be kidding. Shops like that would never go in there... why would they? The demographics aren't there to support them, and people with money aren't going to shop there.

The nails in this coffin keep coming. The stabbing inside the O'Charley's in front of the mall last night has left me empty. I tried to keep frequenting the stores in the area, but I have had enough. Drop a bomb. Get rid of it. Let the thugs pick there next shopping area to ruin. I know this could have happened anywhere, but this has just worn me out.

i find it somewhat disheartening when police chief don aaron says "There was nothing the community could have done to prevent the actions". what is the community supposed to say to that? "well, just chalk another one up...." I know crime happens all over nashville, and i've always said that antioch and hickory hollow do get an overly bad rap, but something's got to give. if the police chief is saying that there is nothing that the community can do, does that mean they should just give up? accept the crime? do the people of antioch need to march on the capitol?

Well, so much for the stores I mentioned earlier going in there.

The stabbing was a result of a bad drug deal; according to the Tennessean. The victim and the person who did the stabbing knew each other. We can't say the entire area is bad because of a few individuals. I'm not going to let the actions of a few keep me from going to different areas of the city. There are a few places in East Nashville I enjoy going to and they have just as many crimes if not more than Antioch. I guess I'm use to it since I was born and raised in New York city. What's happening in Nashville is just a result of the city getting bigger. You're going to endure the good and the bad in all areas of the city. I live in Green Hills and my neighborhood is constantly dealing with car break-ins and other silly crimes, but it's not made public as it is in Antioch or East Nashville.

The stabbing was a result of a bad drug deal; according to the Tennessean. The victim and the person who did the stabbing knew each other. We can't say the entire area is bad because of a few individuals. I'm not going to let the actions of a few keep me from going to different areas of the city. There are a few places in East Nashville I enjoy going to and they have just as many crimes if not more than Antioch. I guess I'm use to it since I was born and raised in New York city. What's happening in Nashville is just a result of the city getting bigger. You're going to endure the good and the bad in all areas of the city. I live in Green Hills and my neighborhood is constantly dealing with car break-ins and other silly crimes, but it's not made public as it is in Antioch or East Nashville.

I agree with your point of view on this. While this crime that taken place in Hickory Hollow is sad and regrettable, I don't think people are in danger shopping there unless they're taking part in the overall crime scene themselves. I think it's an over reaction to just stop shopping there because of a stabbing in the area.

Actually the victim was an innocent, off-duty restaurant employee who was trying to stop the altercation between the perp and the other employee who owed drug money to the perp. Your points about crime happening all over the city are accurate, but Antioch is seeing an awful lot of that crime, or so it would seem.

As a resident of Antioch for over 14 years, I have seen the decline and the stigma associated with living in this area. I subscribe to representative Jim Hodge's police blog daily. It is rather frightening to see all the armed robberies, etc in the apartment complexes in this area. With the mall potentially closing, the recent death at O'Charleys, I am feeling less positive about this area.

What can the residents do to bring this part of town up to par, so to speak? It is truly sad that we seem to be the ones kicked to the curb, and the continued decline is troubling.

What can the residents do to bring this part of town up to par, so to speak?

they need to get together and demand better of their neighborhood before it really is too late. while it might be difficult with all the different cultures out there, i believe that every single one of those cultures are tired of the constant fear that they live in. if there is anything to band together against, growing crime should do that.

they need to get together and demand better of their neighborhood before it really is too late. while it might be difficult with all the different cultures out there, i believe that every single one of those cultures are tired of the constant fear that they live in. if there is anything to band together against, growing crime should do that.

I agree and to add to this, I think the city itself should make Antioch a priority and create a zero tolerance to ANY crime, big or small, in that part of town. Start prosecuting the criminals harder (if they can), and take back the streets. Post police, or I should say, more police around the schools and consider a new Metro Police station or two for the Antioch area. To me, and this is just me, the South Station is just too far removed from the core area of Antioch to be effective enough. Anyone else agree?

I would also encourage more townhall style meetings with city leaders and community members. Along with increased awareness and participation in community watch programs.

These ideas are a start, but bring in the LaVergne and Smyrna Police departments and discuss what can be done to help with the multi-county crime that does take place everyday. Let's face it, alot of the criminals are coming from Rutherford County while others are coming from Davidson County as well. It takes a team effort and a common goal amongst departments.

I agree and to add to this, I think the city itself should make Antioch a priority and create a zero tolerance to ANY crime, big or small, in that part of town. Start prosecuting the criminals harder (if they can), and take back the streets. Post police, or I should say, more police around the schools and consider a new Metro Police station or two for the Antioch area. To me, and this is just me, the South Station is just too far removed from the core area of Antioch to be effective enough. Anyone else agree?

I would also encourage more townhall style meetings with city leaders and community members. Along with increased awareness and participation in community watch programs.

These ideas are a start, but bring in the LaVergne and Smyrna Police departments and discuss what can be done to help with the multi-county crime that does take place everyday. Let's face it, alot of the criminals are coming from Rutherford County while others are coming from Davidson County as well. It takes a team effort and a common goal amongst departments.

I have to agree... LaVergne is the new Antioch.

Yes, because there is SUCH a market in depressed 37013 for those stores.

HHM is a dead mall walking.

Real Talk on Hickory Hollow Mall

I do understand perceptions of malls, I'm from Columbia and the mall i typically follow and write about, Columbia Place, has suffered in previous years. CBL has a reputation of working with malls to rehabilitate the reputation.

Now it is noted that Hickory Hollow Mall was overdeveloped. Retail can exist after Dillard's departure, but the space can be used for other alternatives which may include a call center or government use. The bright side to all of this is a list of stores that are currently being sought as specialty tenants to junior anchors to come to Hickory Hollow Mall. They include the following:

Burlington Coat Factory

Old Navy

Spencer Gifts

Forever 21

Pacific Sunwear

There is still plenty of hope for Hickory Hollow Mall and I don't see disposal of the mall as of yet. Things can always change depending on the speed of store closures and the possibility of Steve & Barry's departure, but I think careful planning on CBL's part and the observation of other malls that have faced this problem can give a direction on what can be done to save this mall. If I were CBL I would bookmark Northgate Mall (Durham, NC) for it's idea of a large scale theatre and redevelopment of a Belk store to increase viability.

Eastland Mall should not be used by anyone anywhere as an example of a mall. Glimcher should be ashamed for buying, promising and now dumping a mall. Hickory Hollow has an edge by a recent major renovation, Macy's and numerous national tenants still present. Eastland has fallen to two anchors Burlington Coat Factory and Sears and has reduced hours to Tues-Friday 10-7, Saturday 10-6, Sun 12:30-6 and Closed Monday. There is plenty of hope if you read between the lines of a mall plagued by economic and demographic changes and a mall that has never received any attention during these changes.

Real Talk on Hickory Hollow Mall

I do understand perceptions of malls, I'm from Columbia and the mall i typically follow and write about, Columbia Place, has suffered in previous years. CBL has a reputation of working with malls to rehabilitate the reputation.

Now it is noted that Hickory Hollow Mall was overdeveloped. Retail can exist after Dillard's departure, but the space can be used for other alternatives which may include a call center or government use. The bright side to all of this is a list of stores that are currently being sought as specialty tenants to junior anchors to come to Hickory Hollow Mall. They include the following:

Burlington Coat Factory

Old Navy

Spencer Gifts

Forever 21

Pacific Sunwear

There is still plenty of hope for Hickory Hollow Mall and I don't see disposal of the mall as of yet. Things can always change depending on the speed of store closures and the possibility of Steve & Barry's departure, but I think careful planning on CBL's part and the observation of other malls that have faced this problem can give a direction on what can be done to save this mall. If I were CBL I would bookmark Northgate Mall (Durham, NC) for it's idea of a large scale theatre and redevelopment of a Belk store to increase viability.

Eastland Mall should not be used by anyone anywhere as an example of a mall. Glimcher should be ashamed for buying, promising and now dumping a mall. Hickory Hollow has an edge by a recent major renovation, Macy's and numerous national tenants still present. Eastland has fallen to two anchors Burlington Coat Factory and Sears and has reduced hours to Tues-Friday 10-7, Saturday 10-6, Sun 12:30-6 and Closed Monday. There is plenty of hope if you read between the lines of a mall plagued by economic and demographic changes and a mall that has never received any attention during these changes.

if cbl wants to save the mall, adding more stores isn't the answer. if the main stores are leaving due to lack of customers, then there is a different problem at hand. cbl needs to go on a media blitz and get more involved with the community if they want to keep the mall open. the security is a joke, and i'm not trying to be mean. when i worked there several of the guards were maced or assaulted. while i did feel safe at the mall, many people see this and think "well if the security isn't even safe, then how can i be?" the stores are not the problem at the mall. the perception is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this. Two hotels, the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn, at the Crossings in the Hickory Hollow area have undergone renovations and reopened. Is this too little too late or a step in the right direction for this area?

Hotels invest in Hickory Hollow area

Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn complete renovations at locations in the Crossings

Archived