Dillard's leaving Hickory Hollow Mall

Justiceham

Wasn't sure where to put this. Two hotels, the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn, at the Crossings in the Hickory Hollow area have undergone renovations and reopened. Is this too little too late or a step in the right direction for this area?

Hotels invest in Hickory Hollow area

Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn complete renovations at locations in the Crossings

Good question. IMHO, they need to revamp that whole area....into what, I'm not sure.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not sure if two hotels are a sign of good things to come or not. hickory hollow mall isn't really considered a destination for business or vacationers. i guess we will see. i did find it funny how the FYI that the tennessean puts out annually made hickory hollow sound like a family friendly type fairgrounds in the way it mentioned the blue hole road putt putt area and the ferris wheel (needless to say they failed to mention that it's at a kia dealership). i was suprised to see a good writeup about the area in a tennessean backed publication however.

i'm not sure if two hotels are a sign of good things to come or not. hickory hollow mall isn't really considered a destination for business or vacationers. i guess we will see. i did find it funny how the FYI that the tennessean puts out annually made hickory hollow sound like a family friendly type fairgrounds in the way it mentioned the blue hole road putt putt area and the ferris wheel (needless to say they failed to mention that it's at a kia dealership). i was suprised to see a good writeup about the area in a tennessean backed publication however.

I missed that. Lol at the ferris wheel. I guess they don't see those annoying Kia commercials. And I can't see how the hotels could justify the expenses of upgrades in that area.

• 2 years later...

Vote on the future of Hickory Hollow Mall. I think it's a great idea to infuse some development into the area.

I think it is weird how the "Concerned Citizens of Antioch" seem to be only in opposition of the Fairgrounds moving and not with anything to do with Anitoch.

Metro Council To Hear Hickory Hollow Plans Tuesday

More on the fairgrounds/HH debate. I think the racetrack should be preserved. The fairgrounds should have plenty of options. What about old Starwood, or using part of an old mall like HH, or Bellevue, What about the Titans stadium and parking lots? I mean surely there is somewhere in Davidson County. Bells Bend?

Metro Council gives support to Nashville mayor's fairgrounds plan

At surprise hearing, critics voice displeasure

I doubt that would be large enough space-wise, but I don't know exactly how big the area is either. I know that expo space would be needed for the animal awards (or whatever, if they still do that). Not sure if that would meet the requirement, but that gives me an idea. Centennial Park would be a cool place to have the fair. Doubt there is enough space (for expos) at the park either.

• 2 weeks later...

More on the fairgrounds/HH debate. I think the racetrack should be preserved. The fairgrounds should have plenty of options. What about old Starwood, or using part of an old mall like HH, or Bellevue, What about the Titans stadium and parking lots? I mean surely there is somewhere in Davidson County. Bells Bend?

Metro Council gives support to Nashville mayor's fairgrounds plan

At surprise hearing, critics voice displeasure

The fairgrounds/race track debate and should it be relocated or not and if so where is an important topic and deserves its own new topic on this site. I think this will an issue under discussion for a while. I do not think that the newspaper will give this topic much debate since the mayor is in favor of relocating it to HHM.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

With Sears and Macy's gone, this is it for Hickory Hollow Mall. I'd love to see retail survive in the area, but with Antioch's crime rate and changing demographics is anyone really surprised this happened? Bellevue, Harding, Hickory Hollow, and almost 100 Oaks, Nashville is losing retail to the burbs.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2012/01/hickory-hollow-macys-to-close.html

• 10 months later...

Omg, you guys should read the comments on that article. Apparently, Nashville is going down the drain...

Fortunately some of those people have left for (apparently glorious) Dallas and someplace in AZ, good riddance.

The negativity and bitterness is overwhelming. It must be awful to be these people.

Omg, you guys should read the comments on that article. Apparently, Nashville is going down the drain...

The specific point most of those commenters were making is about Antioch. For those of you who aren't lifelong residents like I am (and very few can make such a claim, or would want to), this part of Nashville has (past tense) gone down the drain. The elites in city government used us as a dumping ground, and after more than 20 years of such treatment, it is no surprise what has happened. Frankly, it makes me sick. I'm only sorry my family didn't get out of here before the decay became an epidemic. :angry:

Fieldmarshaldj:

Would you agree that the crime problem along the Murfreesboro Road corridor is not limited to Antioch? For example, the Silverado's area is technically in Donelson (yes, Donelson goes south of I-40). Also, there are still quite nice parts of Antioch, but my friends who live there refer to it as the Priest Lake area instead. I am not sure of the actual boundaries of Antioch, but it seems to me that that part of town gets painted with quite a broad brush.

Either way, the Hickory Hollow mall area specifically is clearly ready for a reboot, although big-box retail is not going to be the answer to that. But I think that the big-box retail implosion is going to hit other areas too. My sense is that Rivergate will be next.

Archived