Tower Cranes

tamias6

After hearing about the tower crane collapse that took place at an apartment building in NYC and how it may be due to lack of proper inspection, I'm left wondering about the forest of tower cranes hovering over DT GR. Do we have anything to worry about?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After hearing about the tower crane collapse that took place at an apartment building in NYC and how it may be due to lack of proper inspection, I'm left wondering about the forest of tower cranes hovering over DT GR. Do we have anything to worry about?

Regardless of the GR cranes' safety in comparison to the two recent NYC disasters, I take the pragmatic routes FAR around the Riverhouse and Medical District construction sites. You'll never catch me tooling past those sites by my own decision. Construction sites are very dangerous by nature and avoiding their proximity is just a healthier option. Curiosity or venturing too close without considering the deadly consequences can definitely get you a bad outcome. WATCH FROM AFAR and FIND ANOTHER TRAVEL ROUTE.

I think that construction equipment that has the potential of falling outside of the construction area (ie could reach buildings, sidewalks, and other public/private property outside the owner's property), should have an additional layer of inspection done by the city on a regular basis, paid for by the GC and/or owner.

Well my father is a crane operater, so I would like to think that they are safe, but after recent events I do feel more "comfortable" that he is currently operating a crawler crane. The last tower crane he operated was at Munson Medical in Traverse City.

These cranes are inspected everyday by the operator on the way up in the morning and the way down in the evening. Besides these inspections they are inspected everytime something out of the ordinary happens - helicopter parts hitting it. Also from my understanding the west side of Michigan has such little experience with tower cranes that if the city would inspect they would not know what to inspect.

Archived