Barnes & Noble 28th moving to Woodland Mall

charleyhorse

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yumm, sounds delish.

Question: what do you all (including Bill) think will happen when Barnes moves to Woodland? Schuler's is my all time, all time favorite book store and I am an avid reader so I'm concerned whether the move will impact the 28th St. store...

B&N's current store's street exposure is about as bad as it gets along 28th street, so I would have to guess they think any increase in location costs will be offset by higher foot traffic / revenues. The development they are in now is going to be a sore sight once B&N moves out, as EMS has been gone for quite a while now with no new tenants grabbing for that site.

Jeez, I sure hope they don't mess with the format too much... I mean, out of all the B&N's I've been to across the country its my fav + its the only one with a used book section which I quite enjoy. But if as you mention it will be a two-story and large, I can certainly hope it will only get better.

• 3 weeks later...

Barnes and Noble to Woodland...confirmed by the Press!

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/barn...cate_in_wo.html

Maybe this needs it's own thread now.

I figured it would go by the theater across from Bar Louie where Sbarro used to be, but it looks like it may be going next to Bar Louie further into the mall. Maybe then the external entrance will be viewable from the East Beltline which makes sense.

I think this will be a nice addition to the mall.

Barnes and Noble to Woodland...confirmed by the Press!

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/barn...cate_in_wo.html

Maybe this needs it's own thread now.

I figured it would go by the theater across from Bar Louie where Sbarro used to be, but it looks like it may be going next to Bar Louie further into the mall. Maybe then the external entrance will be viewable from the East Beltline which makes sense.

I think this will be a nice addition to the mall.

It looks like its also getting a tad bigger - 35,000 to 40,000 sq ft. Im assuming a smaller footprint but with a 2nd floor added?

I do hope the cafe gets bigger; it was also full during the academic season with students studying and seats were always scarce.

Plus, I do hope they keep the used book section.

Woodland is making a push to stay relevant.

B&N must have gotten a hell of an offer from Woodland to get them to move in there. I was under the impression that rent at Woodland was very expensive. In regards to Woodland how old is that mall? The outside facade is in great need of a redo.

Woodland is 40+ years old and was the first mall Alfred Taubman built from the ground up. An exterior remodel is HUGELY expensive and probably won't improve NOI. It's stores that customers want that makes a mall successful and - I hear - Woodland is doing its best to get tenants new to West Michgian but it's a tough market for REITS. I also heard the new owner didn't make ROI on the purchase price and doesn't have the leverage that Taubman does.

So they're trying but we'll see....

Woodland is 40+ years old and was the first mall Alfred Taubman built from the ground up. An exterior remodel is HUGELY expensive and probably won't improve NOI. It's stores that customers want that makes a mall successful and - I hear - Woodland is doing its best to get tenants new to West Michgian but it's a tough market for REITS. I also heard the new owner didn't make ROI on the purchase price and doesn't have the leverage that Taubman does.

So they're trying but we'll see....

Apparently a few unruly teens over the last couple years who like to use the mall as their fighting ring.

I'm glad Woodland landed B&N. Meanwhile sounds like Border's is struggling and may be looking for a buyer, maybe even B&N.

As for the topic listed on the header, I was at Schuler's downtown a few week ago to support the effort, and they claim the store is doing just fine. I hope that's true.

Archived