A few hours in Atlanta

Morpheus9

I will be passing through Atlanta on the way to Charleston and I'm considering stopping in Atlanta on the way, probably 2-3 hours. So we can probably only go to one location. Which would people suggest among Little Five Points, Coca Cola world/downtown, or Phipps/Lenox. We used to live near the largest mall in the country (King of Prussia) so we need to know if Phipps/Lenox is really that special. Or would we be better off making a stop in Athens instead? I am planning the trip for October so I have plenty of time. Does Little Five Points have any good record stores, cafes or used bookstores that are worth the detour? Same for Athens. My wife is chinese so she always appreciates a place with good asian food.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want good Asian food - Buford Hwy, a 5 mile+ suburban strip northeast of town around Chamblee / Norcross that is full of Asian shopping centers & restaurants. L5P has Wax n Fax Records, besides Wuxtry was my favorite record store (if you like vinyl & rare music), Criminal Records has a big CD collection, lots of magazines & cool action figures. L5P does have a decent used book store also.

Athens is cool too - plus you really have everything you would want to visit in a small downtown to walk in. Phipps & Lenox Malls aren't that special.

If you want good Asian food - Buford Hwy, a 5 mile+ suburban strip northeast of town around Chamblee / Norcross that is full of Asian shopping centers & restaurants. L5P has Wax n Fax Records, besides Wuxtry was my favorite record store (if you like vinyl & rare music), Criminal Records has a big CD collection, lots of magazines & cool action figures. L5P does have a decent used book store also.

Athens is cool too - plus you really have everything you would want to visit in a small downtown to walk in. Phipps & Lenox Malls aren't that special.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be passing through Atlanta on the way to Charleston and I'm considering stopping in Atlanta on the way, probably 2-3 hours. So we can probably only go to one location. Which would people suggest among Little Five Points, Coca Cola world/downtown, or Phipps/Lenox. We used to live near the largest mall in the country (King of Prussia) so we need to know if Phipps/Lenox is really that special. Or would we be better off making a stop in Athens instead? I am planning the trip for October so I have plenty of time. Does Little Five Points have any good record stores, cafes or used bookstores that are worth the detour? Same for Athens. My wife is chinese so she always appreciates a place with good asian food.

Little Five Points is definitely nice little detour for you to enjoy. Plenty of eclectic knick knacks here and there inside each store and vintage clothing to boot. If anything, go for the experience and enjoy city life at its most grittiest and bohemian.

From Little 5, drive through Candler Park and into Inman Park and discover some beautiful houses.

Try and check out East Atlanta as well, which is very similar to L5P in most respects (and right around the corner) but still has its own special charm.

However, if you're looking for a touristy visit, try out the World of Coke. Walk through Centennial Olympic Park, then mosey on through the Fairlie Poplar neighborhood to see Atlanta's old financial district.

Everything I just mentioned is accessible through car OR MARTA. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived