2008 US Presidential Race, Obama vs McCain

monsoon

I just want to know how the people that still support Bush and feel that the Iraq war was necessary are going to justify voting for McCain when he is already saying in his speeches that the Administration has screwed it all up. The die-hards I've seen and know refuse to admit Bush is or has ever been wrong. So which is it? He is or isn't wrong -- and if he isn't, why vote for the guy who says he was?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've also heard VA Gov. Tim Kaine, PA Gov. Ed Rendell, and AZ Gov. Janet Napolitano thrown out as VP picks for Obama.

I was looking at a CNN roundtable discussion regarding Obama's VP pick, and it was asked if Obama selecting a female VP besides Clinton would be considered a slap in Clinton's face. Never thought about it that way, but I suppose it could be taken that way by diehard Clinton supporters (although I wouldn't consider it such).

Of course you can guess who I'd like to see on the ticket, but if for some reason he doesn't decide on her then I'd love to see Rendell or Bloomberg. He's going to need someone to balance out the ticket. A ticket full of fresh faces new to the general American population will not sell in November.

For VP, Obama's should choose:

• someone who helps the delegate math in a swing state (VA, FL, PA, MO, etc)

• someone who has significant governing, military, or legislative experience

• a good campaigner and spokesperson

• a political moderate (not too liberal)

• passes the commander-in-chief threshold

• someone NOT named Clinton

Among the candidates I've seen mentioned, I like Webb (Sen VA), Rendell (Gov PA), and Richardson (Gov NM). Webb was a Vietnam vet, and former Navy Secretary, and can help deilver VA. Rendell was a Clinton supporter, but he struck me as being very gracious among the hubbub and Democrating in-fighting, would likely deliver PA and is also well spoken. Richardson has lots of experience in several levels of govt, has a national reputation, and could help in the SW and with latinos. I'd probably be happy with any of these three as VP.

I never thought I'd hold such an opinion, but now, I'd like best a John Edwards co-ticket, and that is mainly due to the tone of his rhetoric when still campaigning despite the fact he was clearly not a contender. I know he is not being considered and there may not be many who would agree, but I think he finally showed true character considering his reputation as an ambulance chaser. And meets the criteria above if one considers NC a swing state this election, which it may very well be.

This is a huge point. Legal abortion is a rare issue that John McCain hasn't flip-flopped on. He's been against it since there was dirt.

Hard to believe after 35 years of legal abortions, it's still a political issue. And of course the Karl Rove wing of the party will be more than happy to get it stirred up again.

A woman's right to chose is one of my personal hot button issues. We must never go backwards on this. McCain would most certainly appoint anti-abortion judges. Another reason to vote against him, if any more reasons are needed (!)

Actually I do believe that McCain voted for confirmation of justices Ginsberg, Breyer, Kennedy and Souter (the most liberal of the justices to remain). This is probably one of the reasons that he has received such lukewarm support from religious conservatives. It's one of his more pressing problems. If he is to appeal to to more moderate voters, especially the ones that voted for Hillary in the primaries, he can't take the hardliner GOP anti-abortion approach. On the other hand, if he does this he will fracture what's left of the Bush/Rove GOP.

I am convinced the next president of the USA is going to get there by putting together a new coalition of voters. A new coalition to replace the one that hasn't changed since Ronald Reagan took office in 1980. Obama has demonstrated the understanding and ability to do this and successfully killed Clintonism. It's not clear to me that McCain knows that he must do the same but Reaganism like Clintonism is dying a quick death and he needs to move on.

^^^

I agree that its time to move on from Reaganism/Clintonism. I believe that we are about to witness a presidential run that will be both historical and will change the way campaigns are done forever. We have the chance to see the first minority, the youngest ever (correct me if I'm wrong) and the oldest ever to win an election and we haven't even got to the VPs yet. This races looks like its going to be a bunch of firsts, which is really great to see. I'm a moderate and still haven't decided which way I'm going to go in this election, but who the candidates pick as their VPs will make a huge impact. I would really like to see McCain add to the firsts list some more and pick someone like Bobby Jendal.

On a side note, McCain is now responding to Obama saying his election would be like a third Bush term by saying Obama's election would be like a second Carter term. This race is really heating up and I look forward to seeing more of what both Obama and McCain bring to the table. I would also like to give Hilary credit for one thing, advancing women in regards to running for office. Women running for president will be looked at more as a normal thing now.

Looks like McCain didn't learn anything from Clinton's stance on a gas tax holiday. McCain is now saying that he supports a gas tax holiday...what a way to move away from America's dependence on oil... :rolleyes:

The whole gas tax holiday is a joke, it won't even make a dent at the pump. If he really wants to help people with gas, he would come up with a program that would:

A: help those who can least afford the gas price increases with subsidized rates at the pump for those that have some sort of card or otherwise identifying them as a participant in the program

B: Offer large incentives for switching to a fuel efficient vehicle.

In addition to that, there should be a ban on further production of vehicles under a certain fuel economy, except those made for special purposes, like handicap transport, etc. as well as requirements that oil companys spend x percentage of their profits on developing alternative energy sources and other technologies.

The silly thing about that approach is that most people now living do not remember the Carter presidency. They do know him as the man that won the nobel peace prize for actually bringing peace to part of the Middle East. On the other hand they are all still living through the hell of the Bush presidency, where by almost any measure people are worse off on average than they were in 1979. I don't think Obama is going to have to worry much about that tactic.

God how pathetic can the Reps be......having no new ideas whatsoever, and having to dig back in history to pick on Jimmy Carter! Is this desperation of the most extreme sort?

McCain had better tread carefully re: Jimmy Carter bashing. As others have mentioned, many young voters know Carter primarily as a Nobel winner, an author, a respected supporter of Habitat for Humanity, etc etc. The list goes on and on, and the overwhelming majority of it is highly flattering, prestigious even.

If I were Obama I would do my best to talk Jimmy Carter into doing a public appearance together ASAP. As far as young voters go, it could only help Barack to be on the podium with such a respected citizen of the world.

As usual McCain is being blind to reality. Wouldn't anyone with the slightest judgement recognize that attacking Jimmy Carter (a president 28 years ago) is goofy as hell? A serious candidate with serious ideas would never have to stoop to such an absurd tactic.

Indeed and the numbers from the Carter years don't tell the story anyway. Interest rates went above 10% only during he last year of the Carter presidency and did so because of the oil crisis. It should be noted they did not go back below 10% until the 2nd TERM of the Reagan presidency, almost 5 years after Reagan too office. (i.e. rates were higher under Reagan) Same for Inflation. In fact inflation was terrible under Reagan. Unemployment was not calculated the same in the 1970s as it is now. The rate now ONLY includes the people who are filing for unemployment. When their benefits run out, they are no longer counted.

This was a cherry picking of results as for the most part the middle class, as a percentage of population, was larger in the 1970s than it is now. I think that McCain, and more so the GOP, in trying to compare Obama to a politician that ran for office 32 years ago is a politician without a message.

Desperate candidates resort to desperate measures. Interesting that Johnny McCain feels desperate so early in the game~~~he obviously thinks he has limited chances for success since he is going after Jimmy Carter (!!!)

Another thing to remember in the defense of Carter: Jimmy Carter's largest yearly deficit was $65 billion one year (1979 I think?). Reagan's were always over $200 billion every year, George Herbert Walker Bush's deficits were around $400 billion every year, and W's deficits are what----$600+ billion every year?

If I were Obama I would WELCOME comparisons to Carter. Ask people in 2050 who they think did the better job---Reagan/Bush the elder/Bush the moron, or Jimmy Carter. By then, it will most certainly be realized that the national debt is trillions of dollars more because of these irresponsible republicans who held the presidency 1980-1992 and 2000-2008.

With Johnny McCain at the helm I assume future generations would be facing even more trillions in debt, since he has practically said he will continue W's policies. Would McCain's deficits reach a trillion dollars a year? We just can't pile any more debt on future Americans. This is nuts folks.

Ron Paul is rumored to be scheduling an event in Minneapolis, on the same day as the second day of the GOP convention across the river. Saw this in the paper this morning.

If this actually does happen... I wonder what might happen, and will the GOP actually pay attention?

According to GOP rules, it only takes the majority of delegates from 5 states to vote for Ron Paul for the GOP to be forced to put him on the ballot at the convention and be considered for the nomination. This would give him a platform to address the rest of the convention. I've heard of an underground movement to attempt to garner the necessary votes to do that, similar to how Goldwater in 1960 was able to get nominated and spoke to all of the delegates.

As for Ron Paul scheduling an event, he has booked the Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota on September 2, the second day of the GOP convention.

Speaking of Ron Paul, he's finally dropping his bid for the presidency. We all knew he had nothing against McCain, now it's just official. Paul meanwhile will help out the Libertarian cause and various candidates.

I assumed most people who voted for Paul in the primaries will just switch to Bob Barr.

Archived